Thread: WTB reel for 7wt for noob

Default WTB reel for 7wt for noob

Anybody have a decent machined reel for a 7wt single-hand that is gathering dust and needs a new home? My Cleveland-based brother wants to get into fly fishing for bass and small great-lakes steelhead and is looking for a reel without spending a lot. He doesn't want new or top-end in case he doesn't like fly fishing (is that possible?) and wants to keep his investment low to start. Looking for a decent machined reel with rim control...maybe like an old pre-Sage Lamson, Ross, Tioga, or Galvan or ???. Lots of good choices out there. A few nicks are OK. Bonus points for extra spool. PM me. Thanks

Left message on a Teton and a s.a

Check out Lamson remix or liquid. Pretty reasonable and come with extra spools. Sierra trading post had some older models on close out.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    Check out Lamson remix or liquid. Pretty reasonable and come with extra spools. Sierra trading post had some older models on close out.
    Do you or have you owned one? I had the 8 weight version, and I wanted to like it so much. By the checklist, it ticked a lot of boxes and seemed almost perfect, but...the finish dings easily and the drag, with even just a few pounds of pressure, had a pretty significant startup stickiness. I planned to use it bonefishing and to the extent sometimes light tippet is needed, a sticky start when a spunky and healthy bonefish gets on the reel for its first run is not a good thing. Perhaps I had a lemon, but that's my experience...

I have them for lake fishing in the 345.versions. So far no issues but never needed serious drag. Perhaps good enough for a noob until he figures out what he needs or is serious. If you want good drag and finish then would have to move up too a Galvin, Ross or Abel. Good luck.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author