Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone fished the Lower Yuba lately?

Thanks for sharing, Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    Barr's Slumpbuster in Olive Size 6 and the Scupzilla Olive Size 4.

They are my top producers!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

I throw the same, but sz8s, but anything sz8-sz4 (sz4 can be tough on trout speys) olives, browns, blacks, combos of these colors. I've noticed it's not about the color, but about presentation and the right water.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

I always thought that Half-pounders and early Fall Steelhead were best in the low light of the AM, PM and overcast days.

Well, that is because I fish on or near the surface mostly..........Dah.

In this warm weather, clear skies and maybe warm water of late summer and early fall I found the Steelhead were down in the deepest, darkest, faster runs with the early salmon for oxygen.

Probably 20 years ago top fly fisher Jim Christensen and I were in one of my small jet boats between Gristmill and Watt.

It was mid-day in September and we were getting ready to call it a day when Jim stopped us on a familiar deep riffle.

He said he had found Half-ponders in this "long walk in" run before.

He had a G.Loomis 10' #5 line GLX with a WF7F, very long 12'? leader and weighted olive woolly bugger?

Jim let me try his rod and told met to cast across and just keep mending.

I could feel it occasionally touching the bottom in this deep, faster run and then hooked a nice Half-pounder.

I think we caught maybe 3-5 fish and it was a learning event for me, as usual when I fished with a very good angler.

I was lucky to be invited by Terry Thomas, a world class fly fisher, to go on 2 of their fall trips to the lower Klamath river.

Terry and his group of friends usually go 2-3 times a year to jet boat the lower Klamath river for Steelhead and salmon.

They usually go first in August hoping to get some Steelhead action and take a few small fresh salmon home to eat.

On one of those early trips we fly fished out of a jet boat from Klamath Glenn, near the mouth, up to around Johnson's Bar.

We fly fished for Steelhead for 3 days and them the last day before going home we drifted fresh roe for salmon.

These early salmon were in the deepest, fast, narrow dark runs on the bottom to get oxygen in the warm water.

While doing this I hooked a nice 8 pound fresh run adult Steelhead that we quickly released.

In July, August and September the salmon and steelhead like the deep, dark, fast runs and anywhere that cold water from spring or

tributaries is found, like Blue Creek.

I really like to fish the Klamath river in October because as the water cools you will find the steelhead in the tailouts more.

Then I can get them on or near the surface with a floating line, leader the length of my rod and an unweighted fly.

Love those "boils and yanks"" on the take in a nice smooth tailout.........with a "rachet reel" of coarse.

Early and late in the day in October you can sometimes see steelhead surfacing/rolling in the smooth tailouts at the end of a pool.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was on the "Lower Yuba" yesterday. Here's where we need to ask "What do you call the Lower Yuba? The lower Yuba to me means from the mouth where it joins the Feather to upstream to ???. To other folks the "lower Yuba" means from Parks Bar down to DeGuarre Pt. dam.

I fish mainly striped bass and for me the mouth is a great starting point which permits me to fish both the Yuba and the Feather. Going upstream I'm limited because of my prop. Others with a small jet boat can go all the way to the dam. And yes, there are stripers there pretty much year round.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hey Tony
    I guide both sections and I call hwy20 down upper lower Yuba, then daguerre down lower lower Yuba.
    Also need to get another Tonys Stripping Basket

Hey Bill
    I had the pleasure of guiding Terry last year on the Trinity and we did extremely well mid/late Sept. Once again this year I'll have the same pleasure but this year Jim will be along for the rode. Dry lines n muddlers, grease lining with traditional speys.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Thanks Brian, you are a 'class act' and I really appreciate you being here to help keep the real fly fishing alive.

There is nothing wrong with some indicator fishing but it should be only part of the mix....not the entire movie.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Any recent reports on evening hatches? I remember years ago the summer evening caddis hatch and pmd's were sizzling...

Floated HWY 20 to Sycamore Wednesday afternoon and evening. Although numerous dragonflies were hunting over the water, all we saw before 7:00 was a few micro Caddis or midges that were smaller than a size 20. No rising fish until about 7:00, when we saw a half dozen or so and a few cream colored Caddis in the 12-14 range flew by. Total skunk for us but we did pass a large trout swimming upstream as we floated by. Looked to be around 22-24 inches. We will probably try again next Friday
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Thanks Mike. Hopefully the action will start picking up once the flows drop and the weather starts cooling...

Jim and I fished the lower Feather the other day and it was thick with caddis. Interesting, we didn't see anything actively eating them.
    They were everywhere though.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180