Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone fished the Lower Yuba lately?

Default Has anyone fished the Lower Yuba lately?

I saw the fishing report on Kiene's webpage, but I would appreciate some more reports too. Thanks in advance!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

I went a week ago. We fished late and were hoping for a hatch towards sundown, it never happened. Surface insect activity was minimal to non-existant. Hopper dropper was ineffective for us too. Streamers fished deep worked but even that was pretty slow.

This monsoon weather may have mixed things up but I didn't try over the last few days.

Thanks for the update. I did get into a caddis evening hatch two weekends ago and that was pretty fun while swinging a caddis wet fly pattern. I also heard the evening hatches haven't been occuring recently, which is unfortunate. I am curious about what streamer worked for you. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    I went a week ago. We fished late and were hoping for a hatch towards sundown, it never happened. Surface insect activity was minimal to non-existant. Hopper dropper was ineffective for us too. Streamers fished deep worked but even that was pretty slow.

This monsoon weather may have mixed things up but I didn't try over the last few days.

Peter V

Olive and black sculpin pattern with a helmet head on a full sink streamer line. As close to the bottom as I could get. It's kind of a chuck it and duck it pattern.

Thanks! I need to try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    Olive and black sculpin pattern with a helmet head on a full sink streamer line. As close to the bottom as I could get. It's kind of a chuck it and duck it pattern.

Peter V

Swinging small sculps on a type 3 or type 5 tip can be effective in the doldrums of summer. Hopper fishing usually gets better in mid August or so. I haven’t been to the Yuba in months though.

Thanks for the info. I am in search of an easy tie sculpin pattern to use.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Swinging small sculps on a type 3 or type 5 tip can be effective in the doldrums of summer. Hopper fishing usually gets better in mid August or so. I haven’t been to the Yuba in months though.

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    A tungsten been with a rabbit fur collar and a rabbit strip behind it will be enough for that place. You could even tie a surgeons knot and add another streamer to the setup so it looks like a small group of sculpin scurrying through the rocks.

A small olive squirrel leech is a pretty easy tie and ought to be effective

Thanks for the input everyone!

Peter V