Thread: The best places I fly fished in my life time on earth....most were "back in the day."

Default The best places I fly fished in my life time on earth....most were "back in the day."

The Pit river, before the high flows, was my favorite trout stream......mostly all nymphing, before indicators.

Dry fly fishing for one day on Rock Creek with David Armocido....best small stream fly fisher I know.

Many years on the Klamath and Trinity rivers in the Fall going for Steelhead with Joe Shirshac.

The 13 trips to Christmas Island in the early days was amazing........and still is.......Bonefish and Trevally.

Fishing Isla del Sabalo in the Yucatan for small to medium size Tarpon with Keith and Marco.

My trip to the Brazilian Amazon was an amazing adventure for Peacock bass and other species.

Possible the top trip was 40 years ago camping for two weeks "at 17 mile" on the Dear river for Steelhead with 4 good men.

Fly fishing in the 'surface film' on Fall river and Hat creek in the 1970s with Bob Quigley was special.

Fly fishing a major damsel fly emergence on Davis lake with Don Rotsma, one of the best still water guys.

Fly fishing for years on small Stillwaters, in float tubes and then prams, like McCumber, Manzanita, Grace, Nora and Balm lakes.

Had a cabin in Dunsmuir and fished the Upper Sac for many years with Fred Gordon, top veteran Nor Cal guide.

Can't leave off the lower American river starting in the 1960s when the Fall Half-poundrers were almost as good as the Klamath.

The lower Yuba river, 40+ years ago before it was discovered, we caught 4 to 10 pound Steelhead in February in big dries.

We fished 40 years ago the lower Feather river was the best Steelheading in the Valley in October, 6 pound average.

The Gualala and Garcia rivers in the 1970s for Winter run wild fresh Steelhead was amazing to see.

Al Perryman took us to the tide water of the mighty Eel river in the draught of the late 1970s for Fall salmon and Winter Steelhead.

A real good week at Loreto for Dorado on SW poppers around sargassum weed patches was spectacular for me.

I loved the Tsiu river on the Southwest Alaskan coast, a small sandy shallow river with tons of fresh run Sliver salmon.

In the 1970s I did a week long float trip on the Togiak river out of Bristol Bay Lodge, what an amassing expectance.

Went on an all free 2 week trip to both islands at 4 lodges with a group of other fly fishing travel folks.

Got to go on the "Sage Trip" to Christmas Island with Lefty Kreh, Yvon Chouinard and many other industry giants.

will add more....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Very cool Bill

2 trips to South Island top my list but it's a lot shorter than yours

I'd love to have fished with Bob Quigley I love his flies

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Very cool Bill

2 trips to South Island top my list but it's a lot shorter than yours

I'd love to have fished with Bob Quigley I love his flies

In the 1970s Bob Quigley, to us young "wanabees", was our hero, bigger than life and a really generous guy. He always had a smile on

his face too. In many ways Bob was like Lefty Kreh, always teaching people. Like many in this industry, he was not in it for the money.

Bob fished and tied flies almost every day of his life. Not a bad way to go.............

Like Al Troth, Rene Harrop, and Galen Geller, Bob Q made a lot of his living tying lots of really nice flies that the fish seemed to like.

Fly fishing has had lots of great teachers like Lefty Kreh, Chico Fernandez, Dave Whitlock, Mike Fong, Gary LaFontane, Mike Lawson,

Bob Giannoni, Walt Bennett, Jeff Putnam, Jay Fair, to name just a very few. Over the decades we have had thousands of great

teachers who keep the sport alive.......

We also have to thank all outdoor writers, photographers and guides for their part in teaching and inspiring thousands to be dawn to

this great sport of ours.

(Hell, that list of good guys who taught thousands about all aspects of the sport could be very, very long.)
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Very true Bill and your very much part of that crew of advocates

Cheers to you

Man,

I read that and it's a full on bucket list. I'd be happy just get the Northern Cal highlights, but sadly we don't have the numbers of fish anymore.

Good on you sir for getting out to them!

"Got to go one the "Sage Trip" to Christmas Island with Lefty Kreh, Yvon Chouinard and many other industry giants."
    This....

Thanks.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958