Thread: Loreto report

Default Loreto report

osted by Carl Blackledge on 2022-07-31 18:53:37

This year was the best Dorado fishing I can remember ever in Loreto, and words cannot do it justice. I went a few days earlier than the moment when the Dorado gates from heaven opened up, and those fish never stopped pouring in. Regardless of the weather, sea conditions, or availability of sardines in the harbor, all you had to do was watch the birds and look for seaweed to locate them. We would cruise by the Sargasso patches and throw out a few sardines, then if we had boils, we would cast a few times and collect all the Dorado that would eat our flies. As soon as it slowed down we went looking elsewhere, and sometimes the guide would spot Dorado just swimming around on the surface. It was just a hoot and it also seemed like the Dorado were always hungry.
    As a bonus these fish were extra strong, and each one pulled like a freight train. The longer we fished, the more fish showed up, and also bigger fish on average, and our poor reels took quite a beating. The fish count for most boats was between 25 and 50, and on some special days it could have been double those stats. Also, three people in one panga racked up close to 150 in one day, which was extraordinary. After such an amazing season, I’m hoping that with all this extra Dorado spawn, next year will be fantastic as well.
    There were very few billfish this year and I only heard of about five caught in a span of four weeks. Personally, I never saw even one, but with all the Dorado excitement I didn’t miss them.
    We had to hunt for Roosterfish but it was worth it. Last year we could always count on at least 50-70 smaller roosters in their usual island cove hangouts. This year the honey holes were in different locations and we caught around 30 at each visit, and the fish were a little bigger, ranging from 8 to 20 pounds. I got one around 25 pounds and topped it off with one around 40, all on cast flies. The Roosters didn’t like the fly down deep this year but instead, they wanted it on top just like the Dorado, so I changed from a clear tip to a full floating line and it was on.
    A small group of us “regulars” always stay at the Oasis Hotel which is right on the beach, and we all really like their rooms, staff and service which has its own “culture” of family and old-world charm. We also fish with the same guides who, year after year, navigate us through the best fishing the Sea of Cortez offers regardless of ever-changing weather and water conditions. Our days begin at dawn when we get up and eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant, then walk out to the boats which are already packed with a full load of sardines for chum. Most days we fish until about 1 or 2 P.M. and return exhausted but happy, and ready for lunch.
    To answer the many different questions I get about Loreto fishing out of a Panga for Dorado, Roosterfish and billfish, here is a list of what I use:
    For fly casting rods I use 12-wt. Loomis NRX fly rods to cast airheads and crease flies. I bring two and use a full floating line on one, and a 26-ft. sink tip on the other to make it easy to pick up and re-cast. I also use a 9-wt. Sage Salt HD for casting an SA Clear Tip to Roosters and sometimes to small Dorado. I use twisted leaders with a swivel, then tie on the tippet.
    For trolling I use a Sage 16-wt., 8-ft. rod with a RIO Sailfish 30-ft. Shooting Head. I make my own running line with about 120 feet of 60-lb. mono., with 50-lb. mono loops on each end.
    I use Tibor reels on all my rods. I use the Tibor Signature #11/12 for casting, a Tibor Sig. #12 for my trolling rod, and for the 9-wt. I use the #9/10.
    In Loreto I really like the weight-forward, heavy, shorter heads that SA, RIO, and now Cortland have come out with (26-30 foot heads). The shorter heads and twisted leaders help turn over big, air-resistant flies, and that contributes to your success against Dorado. Fly lines take a beating in 100-degree heat combined with the stress of being pulled off the reel by big, mean fish, then cranked back in under a load.
    For trolling I use a locator fly called the Chicken in blue, red or pink. This pattern imitates the Flying Fish. Dorado will eat almost anything you throw at them but they wise up quickly. When you see how they will rush your fly, then dodge it at the last minute, you realize that the more natural-looking flies have the best success. Crease flies in almost any color make a big, splashy motion on top with zigzag action, and are another great menu item. Tan airheads without flash are tops for Rooster fishing, and never seem to disappoint.
    My equipment choices are based on 22 years of trial and error to get the best results for fishing success with all the different species under a variety of environmental conditions over that time period.
    [click here to display pictures]

Follow ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:
    Email:
    Subject:
    Re: Loreto Summary 2022
    Use the space below to compose your message:

You may have to go to Dan's board to see pictures

by Carl Blackledge on 2022-07-3

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...jZQzBxXrzccvkC

Here is the report on Google Mail? With pictures.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........