Thread: Trout fishing in the area of North Fork, CA

Default Trout fishing in the area of North Fork, CA

I'm headed to the town of North Fork, CA just outside of Fresno and wondered if the San Joaquin River has trout water in that particular reach and if not, are some other streams in the area worth checking out with a dry fly. Thanks,

No trout in the SJ river. They haven't planted in 10 years. BUT there are some salmon throughout the river that must be released. There are also stripers, black bass, blue gill, and big carp. I live a few minutes away from the river and fish it every now and then.
    The lower Kings river is about 50 minutes away, maybe an hour from North Fork. A couple weeks ago the river was flowing around 4,000 CFS, not fishable. I'll be there this Friday giving some casting lessons, I'll know more about the flow, then. I also fish a few of the irrigation canals for carp.

How far do you want to travel for trout. They are catching a few around Dinky Creek and the Rancheria Creek at Huntington lake.

At the present, there are 3 fires going in the Mariposa area, creating a lot of smoke and bad air. The biggest is the Oak fire about 18,000 acres and is 31% contained.

Hope this helps, if you want more info, send me a PM
    Jay
    Jay Murakoshi

Maybe 20 years ago I fished the San Joaquin several times above North Fork and below Mammoth Pool Reservoir with some old guys from work who had been going every year for decades. We picked up thick steaks at some old-school grocery with a butcher counter near a turn in the highway as you head of out of North Fork, then cooked them at the trailhead before hiking in early the next morning.

I am sure it is all changed now. The river was small and cold, with great gravel runs and boulder pools. We wet waded to keep our packs light and could wade across the river in many places. Back then it was full of spirited 12" Rainbows that eagerly took flies and some Browns; I broke off a big Brown and went back the next evening and caught the same 20" Brown again with my first fly still in his mouth (before I fished barbless). I assumed the fish were all wild fish, but Jay may be right (he is from Fresno) and they may have been stockers or hold-overs.

It was a steep, tough hike in on an unimproved trail (one of the guys used GPS way-points to stay on the trail) and we had to camp (too far for in-out in one day), but we never ran into anybody else fishing.

I always wanted to go back when my sons were old enough to make the hike but we never made it...long drive from Santa Rosa and so many other great places to fish. Sad to hear Jay say there are no fish in there anymore. Maybe that section is too warm now. Good luck and thanks for stirring up the memories

Thanks Jay.
    Looks like carp fishing it is.
    Steve