Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Klamath

Default The Klamath

Met a retired doctor swinging a riffle with a single hand line years ago whose heart is big, he opened my world to the lower Klamath, has given me access to launch my sled and a place to park my camper, I’ve not taken it for granted. He’s introduced me to Native Americans of the Yurok tribe, they too have opened their world, some perhaps not the first or second time we met but eventually they have. I have made it a habit to leave with less than I came, whether it’s batteries, zip loc bags or gas, I give what I have to those I’ve met, that said, they have given me a lifetime’s worth of salmon. It’s not lost on me the history of that river or the land upon its banks, to some it’s ours to me it’s theirs. Hard to believe the lower reservation just got power a few years ago and the internet last year.

Typically I don’t go in July, but I needed time on the water. Found fish, holding in cool, deep water, not blue creek. Ran my sled down river to get a sink tip and my motor died. First thought, “thank god I’m upriver from camp”. Floated my way down river and anchored in a place I could trailer my sled. Walked a bit back to camp, and connected with a Yurok who spent the rest of his day working on my problem to no avail. In the shop it goes tomorrow. I work a job that has absolutely soured me on the human race, I’ve fought it back over time, I recognize it for what it is, yet them demons still exist. My dog and the Klamath have been my salvation through it all. I suppose more so the fish has, for I’ve chased it all over Northern California and Southern Oregon. Ducks too, but this is the salmon/steelhead forum… whether I’ve met you or not, odds are there’s a chance we’ve crossed paths on the water or road if you chase steelhead up north on big or small water. One has no idea what a nod or wave means. To me, a lot. At the end of it all I’ve got my dad to thank for lighting my fire. I could not imagine having not stepped back into them rivers 11 years ago to chase a fish I did as a young kid. Perhaps my wife may be a little less stressed and my girls maybe missed me a little less but it has healed a lot of wounds, more than she or they will ever know. Thankful for those I’ve met on this ride. Thankful for the life I get to chase!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D19AF5C-F93C-4472-8BCC-7C9EA0FAD0E9.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	663.0 KB 
ID:	18242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C4B00C92-C956-4578-9142-758A2BDB7C63.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	434.4 KB 
ID:	18243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0DC30489-6980-47E8-8EBA-E7A214B34AE0.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	691.3 KB 
ID:	18244

Sideways pictures… oh well.

Bwag,

You have been blessed to have met that old doctor.

Sounds like you could make a nice movie about of your wonderful adventures on the Klamath river.

I was blessed too, having been taken to the Klamath river by an old fire fighter, Joe Shirshac, in the 1960s.

I have fished it from just above Happy Camp down to Hwy 1 at Klamath Glen.

Joe also took me to the Trinity river back then too.

We usually fished it in November after a rain from Junction City down to Willow creek.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, indeed I have and could. I fish a Burkheimer 5115 from your shop. Sent it in to Burkie for a repair, had my late mothers name inscribed upon it. It is a good life! No doubt time flies, I’m trying to slow it down as much possible.

Nice post Bwag. Those pics get me stoked. Haven't been up there in 2 years due to the Covid shutdown in 2020 and the fire last year. From what I've heard, last year was pretty damn good fishing for those who fished upstream of the fire zone. There ain't nothing like that first grab on the swing! Can't wait to get up there.

~Jeff

Bway,

What a great post. I also worked a job that soured me on the human race and fishing would restore my compassion for others. Thank you for posting you made my day

Bwag,

Great post. Also really like your choice in dogs, GWP or Griffon?

Nice post. I love it up there too.

I saw you guys last fall; late August, maybe early September? I remember the dog. You and the boat, not so much. Nothing personal, I just like dogs.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 07-26-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks all for the good words. Randy, the pooch is a Griffon, TahoeJoe no offense taken.

I had 2 recent reports that the Rogue river is having a good run already.

Just called Al Perryman who lives on the middle Rogue river at Gold Hill.

He has been catching 4 to 8 pound "Summer runs" very early in the mornings now.

He usually uses an ACR #5 Spey rod, floating Scandi head, 15' leader and a #6 classic style dark winged unweighted Steelhead fly.

The hatchery got in a very large number of "Summer run Steelhead" recently.

The big month up there in his area for these Summer Runs is October but they got a nice run in July.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........