Thread: Portola area help

Default Portola area help

I find myself in Portola area for a few and looking for some trout action. It’s hot and I would like to hike in and wade fish somewhere. I know there is a ton of water all around but don’t know where to start. Any starter areas?

Not much in the way of moving water now as the MF Feather is very low and warm. Unless you want to hike down one of the steep trails into the canyon below Nelson Ck. I would think that most of the small creeks up there, like Jamison Ck are also very low, but probably still have lots of small wild rainbows.

NF Yuba is probably your best bet, and a relatively short drive from Portola. Lots of small rainbows in there willing to eat anything.

Lots of lakes in the area too. Some decent hike-to lakes in the Lakes Basin area. You need a float tube though. You could probably fish Lake Davis wading out from the shore. You probably know there are very nice fish in there. Again, a float tube would help a lot.

Good luck

~Jeff

Default ... hike in and wade fish somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by logger93 View Post
    ... hike in and wade fish somewhere?
    Best bet may be Wades Lake, accessible from the Jamison Mine site near Graeagle. Here's a trail map (https://caltopo.com/m/G1T03) from Cal Topo. Note that the lake is 3 miles and 1,300 feet up from Jamison Mine.

Expect that the lake is surrounded be bush. But once on the water you should do fine.

Tight lines.
    C&R: If you were caught, wouldn't you want to be released?

Carp fishing is good until the wind kicks up making it impossible to see fish, usually around 10:00am. Davis is okay, until the sun hits the water and then the fish go deep. You could always chase bass at Davis (boring). The best trout fishing up here right now would be the North Yuba. The Feather is in the 70's . . . MUCH too warm to fish. Dog days of summer are here.
    Last edited by Ralph; 07-21-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Gentleman,
    Thanks for the input and sorry for late report. Fished GraeEagle creek for some tiny rainbows and a few 8 inchers. Loved every minute of being in the cool water and dapping up some eager bows. I took a flier on last chance creek below Frenchman. WTF. Hiked a good ways up from the parking area. Cold water, bugs, weedy with decent flows. NADA. Oh well. Could be operator error as I approched it more of a freestone and not a tail water. Thanks again.