Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Bass, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I have made some rabbit strip flies and caught a fish on them. I am sure I could improve on my prior rabbit strip flies and do well but I am looking to rip off the gear world for a good idea. Based on tournament totals I have seen gear guys generally catch double the weight fly guys do. A guy won a one day Delta kayak tournament recently with about 22 pounds and John Sherman won the Costa tournament with about 11 pounds a day. It seems like I need to work on imitating some of the tackle and techniques the gear guys throw. I like the centering pin idea. I had not heard of them. I could tie a jig hook with lead eyes, wrapped cross cut rabbit, rubber legs and a centering pin and then add whatever soft plastic I want to use. I kind of want what I use to still be a fly which this might not be it if it catches fish I may be able to overlook that. We’ll see. Thanks for the help.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was top water flies only for that bass n fly tourney. A recent frog only tournament on the delta only weighed in maybe 15lbs or less. Bass fishing takes several baits to get high weights. I’ve caught a 6lb spotted bass with a 360 flasher and mini hoochie with a piece of anchovy. I didn’t need bass gear for that fish. My thinking is don’t limit yourself. Let us know how the plastic works on your new fly pattern.

The bass n fly allowed subsurface flies but you did have to use a “fly”. I am not sure how they define that but I expect if I put a baby brush hog on a jig hook that would not qualify as a fly. I will have to stick to the rabbit strip jigs if I ever fish in it.

I fished it twice, early on. Did just OK but really enjoyed it.

If you do not attend you can still go to the weigh-in which is fun too.

I think it should be top water only.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........