Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Bass, Baby!

Default Just Bass, Baby!

The great Al Davis used to say "just win, baby". I say "just bass, baby". No birds, squirrels, turtles or coyoyes today. Just bass, baby.

I got my topwater bug hung up in a bush today which happens pretty regularly. This time it broke off which never happens. It should have been in the bush or floating somewhere but I could not see it anywhere. Right below the bush I saw a pretty big gulp and swirl. It had to have been a nice bass snacking my bug. The worst part was for the last hour I had been hitting the spots, getting good dives and pops and generally throwing my A game at them but with no interest. The bug falls in the water and gets gobbled up. It is the ultimate insult to my fishing skills. I do everything I can to get a blow up and can't until the fly breaks off and falls in the water. The fish dominated me on that one for sure but I put the worm fly on and showed them I was still the big boss of the slough. Later I went back to the topwater bug and got a nice one so I ended up feeling good about the day even though I took an early hard snubbing. Sometimes you just have to keep fishing and hope for a bounce back. I will be in Oregon next week and might look for some shore birds and if the wind stops howling maybe a coho or a black rockfish. We'll see.

New stickers on the boat courtesy of my buddy VW.
    Last edited by John H; 07-20-2022 at 02:59 PM.

Good looking bass, John! Your dragon tail fly looks tasty. Good to see the bass like it....

Thumbs up Bass'n....

Good looking worm fly. Certainly proved itself. Re: the take below the break off of your surface bug, I've experienced that myself while creek/river fishing for Smallies (not in the Delta). Good luck next week.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

That should work well in black or purple too.

Some nice bass.................
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good luck in OR! looking forward to the photos.

The dragon tail does catch fish but it is not very durable. I am thinking of making the same fly but without the tail and adding some kind of soft plastic tail that I can replace when it falls apart. It would be a gear-fly hybrid bait. I think it might work. I need to go to fisherman’s warehouse and see what they have for a tail.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    The dragon tail does catch fish but it is not very durable. I am thinking of making the same fly but without the tail and adding some kind of soft plastic tail that I can replace when it falls apart. It would be a gear-fly hybrid bait. I think it might work. I need to go to fisherman’s warehouse and see what they have for a tail.
    Todays flies are all gear/fly hybrids with synthetic materials. You could use the magnum rabbit strips. They come in all types of colors and nothing beats the movement of rabbits strips.

Default Worm Fly....

Another vote for magnum rabbit strips....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Tie in a small owner centering pin or other coiled hitch hiker. I would avoid a worm with lots of salt because of the weight and they may not stay attached to the keeper while casting. It just may work

I have made some rabbit strip flies and caught a fish on them. I am sure I could improve on my prior rabbit strip flies and do well but I am looking to rip off the gear world for a good idea. Based on tournament totals I have seen gear guys generally catch double the weight fly guys do. A guy won a one day Delta kayak tournament recently with about 22 pounds and John Sherman won the Costa tournament with about 11 pounds a day. It seems like I need to work on imitating some of the tackle and techniques the gear guys throw. I like the centering pin idea. I had not heard of them. I could tie a jig hook with lead eyes, wrapped cross cut rabbit, rubber legs and a centering pin and then add whatever soft plastic I want to use. I kind of want what I use to still be a fly which this might not be it if it catches fish I may be able to overlook that. We’ll see. Thanks for the help.