Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
I have made some rabbit strip flies and caught a fish on them. I am sure I could improve on my prior rabbit strip flies and do well but I am looking to rip off the gear world for a good idea. Based on tournament totals I have seen gear guys generally catch double the weight fly guys do. A guy won a one day Delta kayak tournament recently with about 22 pounds and John Sherman won the Costa tournament with about 11 pounds a day. It seems like I need to work on imitating some of the tackle and techniques the gear guys throw. I like the centering pin idea. I had not heard of them. I could tie a jig hook with lead eyes, wrapped cross cut rabbit, rubber legs and a centering pin and then add whatever soft plastic I want to use. I kind of want what I use to still be a fly which this might not be it if it catches fish I may be able to overlook that. We’ll see. Thanks for the help.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was top water flies only for that bass n fly tourney. A recent frog only tournament on the delta only weighed in maybe 15lbs or less. Bass fishing takes several baits to get high weights. I’ve caught a 6lb spotted bass with a 360 flasher and mini hoochie with a piece of anchovy. I didn’t need bass gear for that fish. My thinking is don’t limit yourself. Let us know how the plastic works on your new fly pattern.