Thread: Just Bass, Baby!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Just Bass, Baby!

The great Al Davis used to say "just win, baby". I say "just bass, baby". No birds, squirrels, turtles or coyoyes today. Just bass, baby.

I got my topwater bug hung up in a bush today which happens pretty regularly. This time it broke off which never happens. It should have been in the bush or floating somewhere but I could not see it anywhere. Right below the bush I saw a pretty big gulp and swirl. It had to have been a nice bass snacking my bug. The worst part was for the last hour I had been hitting the spots, getting good dives and pops and generally throwing my A game at them but with no interest. The bug falls in the water and gets gobbled up. It is the ultimate insult to my fishing skills. I do everything I can to get a blow up and can't until the fly breaks off and falls in the water. The fish dominated me on that one for sure but I put the worm fly on and showed them I was still the big boss of the slough. Later I went back to the topwater bug and got a nice one so I ended up feeling good about the day even though I took an early hard snubbing. Sometimes you just have to keep fishing and hope for a bounce back. I will be in Oregon next week and might look for some shore birds and if the wind stops howling maybe a coho or a black rockfish. We'll see.

New stickers on the boat courtesy of my buddy VW.
    Last edited by John H; 07-20-2022 at 02:59 PM.