Thread: Bass and Birds

Default Bass and Birds

My two favorite things to photograph now are bass and birds. I got a different angle on this bass. Kind of a fun picture. Not fun for the bass but fun for the humans. I also have a few critters I got yesterday. I drove 30 minutes yesterday to look for vultures and found there was no battery in the camera. I got back in the car and came home but went back out and got some shots of my usual bird buddies at their usual spot. I am pretty sure the hawks recognize me. They fly off quickly and directly away from me. Three people and a dog can walk by without pausing or looking at them and they will stay on their perch but if you stop and face them they get nervous. I am thinking of getting some camo for my camera. They dont like it when I lift the camera and point it at them. Camo might help that.

First light topwater bass. Do not be late for the topwater bite.

Not a sharp photo but a kestral with a rat. I think the raptors get plenty to eat this time of year. They are like bass - feed a couple of hours a day, get your fill, then sit around for the other 22 hours of the day and don't bite.

Red tailed in flight or it might be a light colored Swainson’s. I am not sure.

Swainson's in flight.

Pretty good turtle.

Baby Swainson's hawk I think. Two adults were close by.

Probably the same kite I shot a couple of weeks ago. He is landing.
    Last edited by John H; 07-18-2022 at 01:54 PM.

[QUOTE=John H;209109]My two favorite things to photograph now are bass and birds.

Red tailed in flight or it might be a light colored Swainson’s. I am not sure.

I always enjoy your photos and adventures. I'd guess Swainson's on the hawk but you can check via Merlin Bird ID (an app from Cornell U.). If you send your photo it will tell you what it is or the most likely options. It is surprisingly accurate with a good photo.

One of my favorite things to do is fly fish top water hair bugs for bass.

Andy said it was sometimes hour of casting interrupted by a suicidal bass.

I love these full frame high quality photos you "techy" guys put up here.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Merlin app might be a good idea. It has a function that identifies bird calls. If you hear a bird in the bushes somewhere it can identify it and if it is good one you can go looking for it. I don’t like the idea of messing around with my phone while out birding but it might help. I saw a guy on YouTube play birdcalls on his phone and lure them out of the bushes to get a photo. I don’t want to get too serious about it and ruin the whole thing.

I also think it is a Swainson’s. When I took the photo I thought it was a red tail but when I posted the photo I noticed it might be a Swainson’s.