Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Agency/Klamath Lake

I would have to agree Bill. The Delta and our anadromous fisheries are shot to hell. In my own back yard, the Lake Davis fishery has suffered greatly because of the illegal introduction of bass. They have overpopulated the lake and insect populations have crashed due to the millions of young bass hunting the weed beds.

On the other hand, Pyramid has risen like a Phoenix from the ashes as a trophy trout destination. Despite tremendous crowds the Truckee seems to be holding its own. I do have concerns though because Whitefish, considered a sentinel species (the aquatic version of a canary in the coal mine), have largely disappeared. The East Carson recently lost its wild trout status because Alpine County has been dumping so many hatchery fish into a major tributary that the wild trout have gone the way of the Dodo. We are the enemy.
    Last edited by Ralph; 07-23-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks again Ralph.......us Baby Boomers were so fortunate to grow up when the fishing and hunting in California was fantastic.

I am so excited about the "newly found old fish" in Pyramid Lake now.

I am also kind of excited about the dams coming down on the Klamath river.

Ralph, what is your take on these dams being removed?

Imagine how hard it is today for even the best guides to produce something for their customers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wow, I can’t even imagine how good the fishing must have been in those days. I did catch my biggest dry fly rainbow on the Williamson in 1976, 9.75 lbs on a Rosborough bucktail caddis bought in the hardware store in Chiloquin. So far this year I’ve been averaging about a dozen a day but have caught 6 over 10 lbs.

On the way up to Crane Prairie in the 1970s Joe Shirshac and I stopped at the "Park /empty lot" access in town late one evening and I landed, probably my largest stream dry fly Rainbow, about 5 pounds on a #10 Buck Caddis.

Thanks Bkane,

I see you live in Redding, California, one of the best places to live to have amazing hunting and fishing close by.

At your age I guess you have had about as many years of good fishing as anyone on this message board.

I am excited to have you posting here.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

The Williamson is probably not fishing that well? Let's just say it wasn't stellar. This was from the other day. We didn't see any bass nor silt in the river. Don't tell the fish traveling up the river about the rumors being passed around. You don't want to see the fish in the Upper Klamath. Sorry to say that we never made it to Chiloquin. Now for the usual disclaimer: your results may vary. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Williamson rainbow.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	619.1 KB 
ID:	18290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Williamson .jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	752.9 KB 
ID:	18291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	653.2 KB 
ID:	18292
    Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    My Brother lives in Chiloquin. He heard recently that the fish weren't going up into the Williamson this year because it's silted up from runoff from the fire. Might be bull S but you would think those fish would be up there by now??
    On a side note, he also had a guy tell him that there are bass in there also. Anybody know one way or another?

Yep, Gitt. As Mark Twain said, "rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated". Caught up there last week. Keyboard warriors don't fish much, but I do! Get on out there and make reports, don't just read them.

Nice fish gentlemen. Hopefully the comments about rumors or keyboard warriors were not directed at me. I simply mentioned what my brother had been hearing from some local folks.

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    Nice fish gentlemen. Hopefully the comments about rumors or keyboard warriors were not directed at me. I simply mentioned what my brother had been hearing from some local folks.
    I love the fact that your brother is up there to get the real info about the area today.

All my intel is really old so your fresh info is great. Thanks.....

In the 1970s we would drive up Interstate 5 and stop at Dunsmuir to fish the Upper Sacramento river.

Then on to the Williamson river to fish for a few days.

Finally we stayed in cabins on South Twin Lakes to fish the lakes in the area like Crane Prairie reservoir.

I like it so much up there in southern Oregon I thought I would retire up there myself.

Today I have about 4 good friends up in Southern Oregon and I think they choose well.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Just to be clear, my comment about keyboard warriors was directed at no one in particular, but based on the general tone of this thread (and one I see repeated frequently here) about how fishing today sucks. I guess I shouldn't complain, because the negativity probably helps keep many from my local north state waters, but just for those in the know, there is still good fishing to be had if you actually get out there and try. Get on out there and make reports, don't wait for reports, you can't catch them from your computer!
    I'm just glad the fish I catch up here in the north state didn't get the memo.
    And just to brag a little more, here's a beauty recently caught up here in God's country! Yep, on the fly to boot! And what a hoot it was!

Last edited by WLREDBAND; 08-25-2022 at 06:56 AM.

Most of the folks he talks to aren't flyfishers. Hell most probably don't fish much at all. He's a technician for the propane company so he sees folks from all walks of life daily. Some of his clients live right on the river. For the most part though he feels that there's more elk hunters than flyfishers. As far as this year he told me that he has seen a ton of boats at the mouth in Agency this summer and later into summer than he has noticed in the past.
    He sent me this picture yesterday. Nice back yard.