Thread: American Stripers

Default American Stripers

I floated the American today and got a few stripers and a pikeminnow. Flows are high and a couple of the upstrem spots that usually have a fish did not. Maybe because of the high flows or maybe just bad angling. Who knows. Fun float, one fish picture, a Maury Hatch sighting and a sweaty bike shuttle. Good stuff.

I threw in some critter shots I got this week. Two shots of a red shouldered hawk, a black phoebe on a fence, a red tailed hawk in flight and a young coyote in an alfalfa field. A red shouldered hawk snatched a couple of doves that were nesting in my yard earlier this year. He got one and then came back for the other one a few days later. He is a stone cold bird killer.

Last edited by John H; 07-15-2022 at 10:05 PM.

It is the end of Shad and Striper time on the lower American River.........(Aug/Sept)

Very inspiring photos John......

If you have never floated the lower America I would get a day with Captain Andy Guibord to see how wonderful it is.

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Fine looking summer "pup". They can get quite scraggly looking this time of year. Oh yeah.....nice fish too!

That coyote does have a nice coat. It seems like they are usually pretty scraggly. I had to look at some internet photos to make sure it was a coyote and not a lost dog. I have seen him there twice. Seems like he is trying to figure out how to live on the fringes of an urban area. There are lots of rabbits and ground squirrels around there so hopefully he can figure out how to catch them and steer clear of people.