Thread: They Don't Always Have Stripes

Smile They Don't Always Have Stripes

This morning was as flat as glass, no wind at all, and fish busting the surface over a weed bed across from the ramp. Working quietly in the shallow water I get my first grab and several head shakes but he doesn't stay on. A little farther and I get another grab and head shake but this one comes undone too. They obviously like the fly. Finally a third grab and this one stays on. And it's heavier but dives deep into the weeds. As it comes close to the boat we can't see the usual stripes we look for. A CATFISH ! A nice big channel cat.

My first thought was the platters of fried catfish we'd had in New Orleans on our last Redfish trip. Yumm delicious, but it's early and we let him go. Obviously, they like Clousers too.

We move upstream to the rapids. Only a couple of other boats were fishing, but things we slow. Conditions looked perfect but the fish weren't cooperating. Maybe it's that big moon we've had for the last few days. We're getting lots of follows but no solid grabs till we get into some deeper water and Jim gets tight. Finally, a good fish, and we call it a day. Time to go home.

Tomorrow is opening day for salmon on the Feather, I think on the Sac too. But it'll be crowded with a lot of boats and being a weekend. Maybe we'll give it rest for a few days and then go chase some more stripers.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Mr Stripes and Mr Whiskers. Pretty good day. I am going up that way next week to see if I can catch something. A ten ponder would be nice but I will take Mr Whiskers if he wants to lay his whiskers on my clouser. Thanks for both reports.

I think I would eat that 'kitty fish'........ 'channel cats' seem to hit flies and lures.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........