Thread: "Monster Bug"....new one for me

Default "Monster Bug"....new one for me

This past week I was fishing a high mountain lake and encountered the oddest bug I have ever seen, or encountered in 60 years of dry fly fishing. It was 1" long, with long, semi clear wings. It had a thin, olive body, with black ribbing like a bee. No tail.
    The odd thing was that it had a long, thin, black neck, almost 1/4" long, with a big black head.

Fortunately, I was able to modify an extended body, olive mayfly, almost as large as a callibaetis, and clip the tail, and make it work.
    Once I clipped the tail the rainbows ate it eagerly.

After doing a search, I determined that the bug was a "Snakefly". I will certainly have a few of these tied up, for my next trip!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakefly

I would be curious to find out if others of you have encountered this "monster" bug.

Note: When I plucked the bug from the water, grabbing it by the wings, it actually turned its head and tried to bite me. No joke.

That's my story, strange as it may be.

Cheers,
    $.02
    Lee Haskin

That had to have been what I’ve always known as a dobsonfly- it’s what hellgrammites hatch into. Predatory, mean SOB’s - saw one back in New Hampshire nice that had a body that was over 3” long. Glad they exist in relatively small numbers or they would take over the world.

After looking at your link, they’re similar but not the same thing. Both nasty buggers, though.
    Last edited by hwchubb; 07-15-2022 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Update

Yes Lee,
    We have run across a few here and there. Only singles, so we took no real interest in them, except for their interesting aggressive nature.

Default "Monster Bug"

Ya, I have seen this bug occasionally in my neck of the woods (No. CA.) but never in a situation where I would think to fish them. Usually just a one off.

Say hey Lee,
    OK you peeked my interest with that thing. When I looked it up I saw the description mentioned "Jurassic." As Jeff Goldblum said "chaos happens!" Cue the T-Rex roar and the soundtrack!!!!
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Hey Ken did you wake up. First post in a long time
    Jay Murakoshi