Thread: Monic Intermediate Clear Line

Default Monic Intermediate Clear Line

I am getting ready to replace my Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate Line. A friend of mine recommended that I give Monic a try. Has anyone out there had an experience (good or bad) with the Monic Henley Intermediate clear line? Thanks.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

I would probably feel safer with Rio or Scientific Angler.

I believe Monic is an obscure little company. I had one of their clear line maybe 20 years ago and it was not that good.

Cortland Line Company has clear slow sinking line and some are very popular in the big Tarpon fishing.

I will do some checking for you.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I checked with Terry Thomas who is one of the most knowledgeable people in the fly line area.

Here is his message to me that is cutting edge info:

"Last year I would have said Rio Clear Camo, however, it looks like they have dropped that line. They do still make the Rio Aqualux that is an opaque light blue line. Scientific Anglers still makes the Sonar Clear Camo and it is an excellent line. With that being said, I prefer to fish a 12 foot Fluor leader with a regular intermediate or hover line. Rio has a new Premier Midge tip line that comes in intermediate or hover tips. I am going to be using the new Rio line this Fall…we shall see.
    Terry "
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Thanks, Bill. I'm having to replace my Cortland line because I did the bad thing up at Rocky Point and allowed my trolling motor to eat the front part of the line. I hate it when that happens. That line is only a couple of years old, and the finish on it was already starting to break down (without the help of my trolling motor). That's my only gripe about the Cortland Clear Camo. The finish doesn't hold up very well. Especially if you fish it a lot like I do. Monic uses different materials for its clear intermediate sinking line. They claim that it holds up better than the Cortland. We'll see. I think I might give one a try and report back when I have had a chance to use it.

By the way, there was a big problem with algae bloom at Pelican Bay this year. It started late Monday or early Tuesday. Old-timers who fish Klamath Lake told me that it's the worse they've ever seen it. I still caught fish, though.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Here's a really good review of the Monic fly line from another discussion forum:

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com.../#post-1640478

Thanks BS, What are you doing in the summer heat?

Obviously my Monic "info / experience" is dated and things are changing every year now.

20-30 years ago the Cortland Clear Camo was the 'number one choice' in a slow sinking clear lake lines.

Cortland Company dominated from the 1960s for many years until Jim and Kitty Vincent started making fly lines, Rio Products.

Cortland Line Company shut down for a while but is back in business now.

Having to get their market share back they have to go up against Rio, SA and Airflo now.

I am still on the Cortland Line Company Pro Staff so I am using some of their new products now.

Remember I lived through everything that happened in the retail fly fishing world for the past 50+ years.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
    Here's a really good review of the Monic fly line from another discussion forum:

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com.../#post-1640478
    Thanks, Bob. Good write-up on the Monic Clear Intermediate. I ended up buying the SA Sonar Stillwater Camo Clear. The core is dyed camo and the outer coating is clear. I am interested to see how that outer coating holds up. I may eventually buy a Monic just for comparison. For the price, it seems like a good deal.
    - John Muir