Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Methods/Flies if McCloud Is Turbid?

Default Best Methods/Flies if McCloud Is Turbid?

May be fishing the McCloud in the next few weeks. If it's blown with silt, one option is to fish elsewhere. But if I do fish there at higher turbidity, what is the best method? Bigger flies swung or drifted slowly? Heavy flash? Work the edges? Power Bait (joke)? Or does it matter? Thanks in advance.

When Googling I found several consistent pieces of advice:
    1. If fishing in the middle, get on the bottom at eye-level for the fish
    2. Fish the edges where there is more sunlight and fish can even spot dries on the surface. They'll feel more secure than usual on the edges due to turbidity.

...but inconsistent advice as well:
    1. Fish bright colored flies, and flies with flash -- easier for the fish to see.
    2. Fish dark colored flies, because they'll stand out better against the "bright" silty water.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 07-13-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Just guessing.......

#6 weighted black crystal flash bead head rubber leges on 2x.......off that in the bend with 3x put a #12 Bead Head Prince.....add shot?

My basic rules after fishing with some of the best for decades, all over the world:

Fish the heaviest tippet they will bite in the prevailing conditions.......which might be 6x or 0x.

A customer said he hooked a big Brown trout on a #6 hopper on the Truckee but finally it broke off.

I asked him what size tippet, he said in always fish 6x......I told him to try 4x next time?

Fish the lightest rod and smallest fly line that will deliver the "combination of projectiles".......indicator, flies, shot?

This will allow you to land big ones on lighter tippet.

Just things to ponder...............on the toilet.

As I said before my information is directed at the new commers, not those who already know everything.

Old Joe Patterson, Cortland Line Rep, had initials for those who already know everything....FEs.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    May be fishing the McCloud in the next few weeks. If it's blown with silt, one option is to fish elsewhere. But if I do fish there at higher turbidity, what is the best method? Bigger flies swung or drifted slowly? Heavy flash? Work the edges? Power Bait (joke)? Or does it matter? Thanks in advance.

When Googling I found several consistent pieces of advice:
    1. If fishing in the middle, get on the bottom at eye-level for the fish
    2. Fish the edges where there is more sunlight and fish can even spot dries on the surface. They'll feel more secure than usual on the edges due to turbidity.

...but inconsistent advice as well:
    1. Fish bright colored flies, and flies with flash -- easier for the fish to see.
    2. Fish dark colored flies, because they'll stand out better against the "bright" silty water.
    I would check out the picture that was posted by StevenB in the other thread. The river is chocolate milk. Driving all that way to fish it would be a fools errand, especially with the USac and Pit so close by.

Otherwise I guess hammer the edges with a big black streamer and be prepared to get not much more than an arm work out?

Hope springs eternal...: https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/js...cookies=cdec01

Bill I was thinking almost the exact same thing, and have some of these already tied: "#6 weighted black crystal flash bead head rubber leges on 2x"

PV, Good idea, and I need to tie some without weight for this purpose.

Thanks.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Nice to see it on the downturn, but it has a long ways to go. Anything above 10 or 20 we anglers would classify as “turbid”
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 07-15-2022 at 04:45 PM.

Now running 100 NTU. Chalk up the McCloud as another needless victim of climate change I guess.

I might just do a cold mineral bath on the McCloud instead of fishing it. "Medicinal glacial silt baths in CA wilderness..."
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Well we skipped the McCloudy and fished the Pit instead with great success.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Has anyone tried fishing McCloud in recent days? How is it? I see that it dropped to ~15 recently. I also checked date stamps on my old pictures from McCloud and the NTU levels were always below 10. Yes, Pit is a good option to go but camping at Ah Di Na is something special.

Thanks,

Tom

I have a good friend that runs the McCloud river inn and he has been telling me that the water is chalky and running high for this time of year. Similar to last year this time from the Mt Shasta glacier melt. Wait a month and check on it.