Thread: Bucks Bags Pontoon Refurbishment

Default Bucks Bags Pontoon Refurbishment

Greetings,
    I have been recently gifted an older Bucks Bags South Fork pontoon boat 8'.
    The frame is in good condition with most of the hardware needing replacement or upgrading. The pontoons though have seen some UV damage on the nylon webbing (sewn into the pontoons). My initial thought is to cut out the stitching and remove all the damaged /deteriorated webbing and replace them with D ring patches (glue on).
    Any one have any experience with this? Any thoughts on how I might be weakening the pontoons by removing the sewn in webbing?
    I'll probably run some goop on the inside of the bladder bag to fill the stitching holes as well.

Thanks for the look

J. Ice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220710_221859422.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	18212

Name:	PXL_20220710_221832293.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	18211

Name:	PXL_20220710_221828454.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	18213

Hi J,

I have done a fair amount of repair/replacement of D rings on hypalon rafts and it is pretty straight forward: Clean surface and good pressure are the keys. Another important aspect is to not set the "pull angle" perpendicular to the D ring.

But I do not know what that material is on your craft so I would suggest the manufacturer will have a recommendation as to what adhesive and patch/ring to use.

I question the removal of all the stitching. Seems like the potential for creating a problem. Would it be possible to set new D rings just inside/outside the existing strapping and still have them do the job of holding down the frame?

Thanks for the reply and advise Bob,
    I will check into the material prior to patching. Regarding removing the stitching, I am assuming it was there to support the strain on the D rings as there is no adhesive on the pontoons at all. When fully inflated, the stitching dose restrict some expansion/stretch of the pontoon cover material. I will have to reassemble the raft with the fame and see where the rings/patches will be best fit if leaving the existing strapping and rings in place. I will also discuss this with the mfg. and see if I can get any info. Thanks again.
    I probably don't have to do any of this but I like to tweak my stuff and the cosmetics of the tears and nasty goop from the previous repair bother me............

Thanks again.
    J. Ice

I think Goop cures faster but AquaSeal is stronger.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Thanks for the reply and advise Bob,
    I will check into the material prior to patching. Regarding removing the stitching, I am assuming it was there to support the strain on the D rings as there is no adhesive on the pontoons at all. When fully inflated, the stitching dose restrict some expansion/stretch of the pontoon cover material. I will have to reassemble the raft with the fame and see where the rings/patches will be best fit if leaving the existing strapping and rings in place. I will also discuss this with the mfg. and see if I can get any info. Thanks again.
    I probably don't have to do any of this but I like to tweak my stuff and the cosmetics of the tears and nasty goop from the previous repair bother me............

Thanks again.
    J. Ice
    My opinion and it is worth less than what you paid for it....

I would not patch & goop it. Not only to be safe on the water, but for resale value.

Bucks sells replacement pontoons with bladder for $175- For $350 plus clean up the frame and you will have basically a new pontoon that you could easily sell for more than $350 if you do not like it.

By the time you patch it and put on new D rings, you will spend close to $100 and would be hard pressed to sell it other than for parts.

Also, seeing the outside damage makes me worry about the inside bladders.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 07-13-2022 at 09:10 PM.