Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about beach fishing above SF

Default Advice about beach fishing above SF

I'm starting to plan an August multiday drive up the CA coast to do some beach fishing and car camping. I'd like to catch anything since I'm 0 for 3 on beach fishing trips.

I'm starting from West Sac.

My first guess is to start at Dillon Beach and go north until maybe Gualala. There seem to be several fishable beaches in that stretch. If I get excited I might get all the way to Fort Bragg to go to the North Coast Brewing restaurant.

I am newbie about fishing the coast. I don't know the rules about beach access, car camping, any fly shops that might be a good source of information, nada.

I appreciate whatever help anyone can give. Thanks.
    Last edited by chapmag; 06-27-2022 at 01:49 PM.
    Greg

Dillion Beach would be my best guess.

Depending on how big your Clousers Minnows are I would use a #8 or #9 outfit.

Any good reels with 100yds of 30# Dacron backing.

I would used a Rio Outbound Short freshwater/cold water sinktip line with a type 6 sink-rate.

6 foot of total FC leader to 20# test and a #2/0 Chartreuse and White Clouser Minnow.

Pinch down the barb and use a Non-slip loop knot.

The guys are Lawson's landing have some experience catch Striper there.

I would say morning and even could help.

Waders would help.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thumbs up Marine Life Protection Areas (MLPA's)

Many of the north coastal beaches are designated MLPA's by DF&W/law. There're several types of protected areas, some allowing access, some prohibiting access entirely. You can find info/maps at the CA Department of Fish & wildlife website.

At this time of year, the winds and surf can be rough. Pick protected beaches that're not within an MLPA. Otherwise you'll be dodging swells all day. Look up a surf fly pattern called a "Krabby Patty" or other Sand Crab patterns that have some orange in them.

During August, there's a chance that some estuaries around Eureka and north will have some early Salmon in them.

Lots of members on this board fly fish the surf. Hopefully, some of them will chime in, too.

Good luck and don't forget to take some clamming gear along....
    Last edited by Darian; 06-27-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I have had problems finding open campsites on the coast. Make sure you have something set up for that. If you could get State park reservations that would be pretty good. I have tried flies in the surf a couple of times without a bite so you don’t want my advice on that.

Default More Surf Info....

Additional info re: diving & surf fishing in NorCal.... Try to find a copy of "Mendocino County Coastal Fishing & Diving Access Guide" by Rouvaishyana, if it's still in print. Lots of good info on the subject.

Also, see ZEN Fly Fishing by Glen Tagami(??); still on-line but hasn't been updated for some time. Look up the name Mark Won on-line. Lots of good info re: Normal surf fly fishing and flies.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

OK.....good fresh info here.

Just phoned Willie Vogler of Lawson's Landing and they have been having unusually good Striper fishing at the mouth of Tomales and

south end of Dillon Beach for the past two weeks.

He said the fish are slightly larger right now in the teens with a few over 20#.

He said that the surf at Bolinas and at Doran Beach have been good as well for Stripers.

In past year June and July is a peak time with spring and fall being good on occasion.

Salmon are in the ocean now but with the gas prices they are too far away from Lawson's to be practical....$$$$

Halibut are showing up inside Tomales Bay now too.

On average the wind gets a little better after the 4th of July.

The daily high on the coast is around 65 degrees.....with fresh air and seafood.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill for this info and your previous post. Just what I need.
    Greg

Here are the Cliff Notes.

Focus on low light conditions. This can be early or late day, even heavy fog. Once the sun is on the water, perch will move away from the surf zone. Look for moving water in parallel and diagonal troughs or rips and fish the edges. The water movement is wash coming off the beach and heading back out via gravity. Areas where surf collapses as it approaches the beach is a good sign of deeper water. Once you understand water movement is your friend, it will become easier to locate willing participants. Think streamer fishing and the retrieve is more important than the swing. Strip retrieves will keep you in contact with the fly. No grabs after a couple of casts, keep moving until you get a grab. If you do get a grab, keep tension on your quarry until you bring the fish to hand. You will notice a pattern develop over time.
    Safety is always a concern. Never turn your back on the water. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Many of the north coastal beaches are designated MLPA's by DF&W/law. There're several types of protected areas, some allowing access, some prohibiting access entirely. You can find info/maps at the CA Department of Fish & wildlife website.

At this time of year, the winds and surf can be rough. Pick protected beaches that're not within an MLPA. Otherwise you'll be dodging swells all day. Look up a surf fly pattern called a "Krabby Patty" or other Sand Crab patterns that have some orange in them.

During August, there's a chance that some estuaries around Eureka and north will have some early Salmon in them.

Lots of members on this board fly fish the surf. Hopefully, some of them will chime in, too.

Good luck and don't forget to take some clamming gear along....
    Thanks Darian, just what I need.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I have had problems finding open campsites on the coast. Make sure you have something set up for that. If you could get State park reservations that would be pretty good. I have tried flies in the surf a couple of times without a bite so you don’t want my advice on that.
    I hadn't thought about the campsites being a problem. Thanks John.

I'll post my luck with flies in the surf, especially if I catch more than seaweed.
    Greg