Quote Originally Posted by gitt View Post
Here are the Cliff Notes.

Focus on low light conditions. This can be early or late day, even heavy fog. Once the sun is on the water, perch will move away from the surf zone. Look for moving water in parallel and diagonal troughs or rips and fish the edges. The water movement is wash coming off the beach and heading back out via gravity. Areas where surf collapses as it approaches the beach is a good sign of deeper water. Once you understand water movement is your friend, it will become easier to locate willing participants. Think streamer fishing and the retrieve is more important than the swing. Strip retrieves will keep you in contact with the fly. No grabs after a couple of casts, keep moving until you get a grab. If you do get a grab, keep tension on your quarry until you bring the fish to hand. You will notice a pattern develop over time.
Safety is always a concern. Never turn your back on the water. Hope this helps.
Thanks gitt. This is very helpful. I did not know about the sun on the water part.

I'll treat it as streamer fishing and not drifts of some kind. I have struggled with maintaining contact with the flies.