Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Carl Blackledge Loreto, Baja fishing reports for June/July 2022 trip.

Default The Carl Blackledge Loreto, Baja fishing reports for June/July 2022 trip.

6/16/22 report Thursday

"Hey Guys, I'm here and looking forward to getting out there to fish, but I forgot my phone (really) so if you don't hear from me that's why, but I'll be checking email. I'm using my Buddy's phone to call home and my wife is checking my voicemail if you want to leave me a message that can wait. The good news is that a 50-pound Dorado was caught earlier this week, and the weather is really hot which bodes well. Fingers crossed for a great year!
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Report 6/17/22 Friday:

"Hey Guys,
    Today we went out and were greeted with some rough seas, but we saw a lot of Dorado chasing Flying Fish all of which escaped our best efforts. We didn't see any billfish, but my buddy caught a nice-sized Skip Jack. We ventured over to "the island" and found tons of free bait so that was a good sign. Tomorrow we'll head out in another direction and hopefully the seas will cooperate. Great to be here!
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Report 6/25/22 Saturday:

"Greetings from Paradise:
    The first day or two was "slow" in Mexico terms due to rough seas but we have caught fish every day and different boats had varying results depending on which direction they went. Today, June 24th, the water was flat, the sun was out and EVERY DORADO IN BAJA WAS AROUND OUR BOAT (it sure seemed like it any way). We caught a ton, mostly big brutes. This was an "epic" day with only three boats on the fish. Most of the fishing was casting airhead flies and some were using classic crease flies. My conservative guess at the tally is probably at least 150 caught, with a few 40-pound Dorado on cast flies in the mix. Over the last week we've also gotten a bunch of big Roosters. When I get back I'll post pictures.
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Report 6/26/22 Sunday:

"Greetings:
    Today the sea was flat when we woke up so we planned to go for more Dorado, but then the seas turned rough with lots of wind. It didn't hamper us, though, and we cast to, and fought Dorado most of the day, using tan Airheads. There was Sargasso weed patches everywhere, and only a few boats. Our catch was maybe 35-40 Dorado up to 30 pounds. These new, fresh fish were very, very strong and it was exciting and needless to say, tons of fun. As a footnote I haven't seen any bill fish since I've been here, but a friend who just left for home did catch a beauty.
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Bill, Thanks for passing these along. I'm excited to be heading to Baja on July 9!

Reports June 28-29 Tues/Wed:

"Greetings:
    Yesterday and today we had fantastic results and both the hunt and the catch were a blast. Yesterday morning the Harbor announced that they had no bait, but that didn't stop us from finding and netting our own sardines which can be found in all the nooks and crannies around the islands. We really got into the Roosters, catching one after another all morning, with a few big ones in the mix. Even without bait, a few other boats went in a different direction and caught Dorado on cast flies to Sargasso patties which are everywhere, no chum required!

Today the Harbor was still out of bait, so we went to the Sargasso and saw the Dorado we heard about yesterday. We started to troll our sardine flies and immediately got into some back and forth action, where my boat partner was hooked up while I cast Crease flies and hooked the 'fish amigos' in the area. These Dorado are big and mean and pull like a freight train! The Crease flies, especially the olive colored, caused a larger disturbance than the Airheads and worked better on the 'tire kickers'.

We pounded the fish for about four hours and then heard on the radio that there was a large group of Dorado right in front of our Hotel Oasis about two miles off shore. We went to check it out and found the Sargasso with one other panga in the area. We nailed fish right off the bat on cast Airheads and Crease flies and didn't stop until exhaustion set in!
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Video about the Sargasso weed patches......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiwauBraXeE

We have them offshore with Dorado on the Central East Coast of Florida now too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

REport 7/1/22 Friday:

"Greetings:
    Yesterday we went in a different direction, this time with a double load of sardines and really whacked the fish all day long. Not sure how many we landed but it was a lot. The sea kept getting rougher and the wind came up but we didn't care, except for the fact it took us three hours to get back to shore because we had to go really slow through the choppy water.

Today we went in the same direction with the same results, and again there were millions of sardines in the Harbor. But today the sea was flat as a 'pancake', which was awesome. We cast to tons of Dorado and landed them on green Crease flies and tan Airheads. The Dorado are all really nice size and very aggressive. These fish this year seem to have super chargers on them - man, do they run and jump!
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Report 7/4/22 Monday:

"Greetings:
    The last few days the winds have really slowed down the recent hot action. One day we caught 20 Roosters and 20 Dorado and another day we caught 28 Dorado in high wind.

Today, July 4th, I caught a beauty of a Rooster, perhaps pushing 40 pounds, on a cast fly. Also one of my buddies caught two Sailfish today, and other friends have collectively caught lots of smaller Roosters, maybe 30 Dorado, and other reef fish.

Airheads and Crease flies are the order of the day, but I'm also working on a new fly that is kind of a hybrid of different shapes and materials that I have had success with over the years. I brought some prototypes with me and had great success. I have it about 85 percent perfected and hope to add it to my arsenal of "Baja Killers" in the near future.
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Report 7/6/22 Wednesday:

"Greetings:
    Today the seas were smooth and flat and Dorado fishing continues to be off the hook. Now the bigger Dorado are showing up in growing numbers, and green crease flies and tan airheads continue to be the hot flies.
    Carl"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958