Thread: Off to the North Platte!

Default Off to the North Platte!

It has been hard to get fishing days in this year, some early Steelhead and several days on the Truckee have been about it thus far. However, my younger daughter is getting married in Casper, Wyoming in a week and a half. A buddy and I are heading out 8 days early and will fish the North Platte and maybe get a day in on the Upper Green. So, hopefully some fantastic fishing followed by a great celebration!!!!

Report will follow!

Bob

Lucky break on the wedding location. Does your daughter live out there?

Let us know what you find. My son is fishing out in MT/UT/WY/ID for a few weeks between jobs and the rivers are blown out, as you have probably seen in the news. Are you fishing the Grey Reef and Miracle Mile sections? The NP is a tailwater so it should be in good shape. Some beautiful water out there but the wind can get nasty if you are rowing. I am hoping to get back out there soon

Don’t forget Wyoming doesn’t have the “below the high water mark is public access in the stream” rule. The bank and stream bottom are private property so you can’t pull over on a sand bar to fish a spot without landowner permission. Some landowners don’t care but some do.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

High water in the area now but tailwaters are still clear

Headed to east Idaho in two weeks for the whole of July

I have 26 days and a list of 38 streams. Wish me luck.

Holy Crap. That is about our itinerary for a 2023 trip.

My daughter lives out in the Bay Area, but he is from Casper. Reports on the NP are very good right now, although looks like we will catch 2 very windy days out of the 6. We rented a house on a ranch, that has direct river access onto the Grey Reef, so when we wade fish, we go right out onto the river, or drive over to the Miracle Mile. New water to me, so I am really looking forward to this.

Bob

Other than the Jackson area, WY culture is very different from Bay Area culture! Nobody looking for gubmint handouts and no homeless problems, car break-ins, or rampant shoplifting there. My great grandparents homesteaded in WY and my dad grew up there. The family still ranches the old homestead and I learned to trout fish from my uncles out there. Beautiful country with lots of great fishing. I would like to retire there but my wife doesn't like it so much because of the incessant wind. Good to hear you have bank access at the house you are renting. Will the wedding be at the Greys Reef ranch? I can see why your daughter wants to get married there. And you should get a super hard-working SIL out of the deal too!

Good luck and please post on how you do!

The wedding will be up on the ski resort mountain, supposed to be awesome views.