Thread: Bass are a Mystery

Default Bass are a Mystery

The more I fish for bass the less I understand them. Monday they would not touch the topwater bug but today they were into it. I don't get it. Seems like you just have to show up really early and hope it is on. They bit on top for about and hour and a half and then they were done with it. After that I fished subsurface and got a few more plus a crappie. Since the bass n fly tournament is today I pretended like I was in it and weighed my best 5 fish - 12.56 pounds which is about 9.5 pounds more than I got Monday and 12.56 pounds more than I got the time before that. No fish pictures today but I did hook and lose one that definitely would have had her picture taken. I am sick of losing the biggest fish of the day. Seems like it happens way too much.

I saw a hawk on a pole on the way home. He was eating a rat but by the time I got my camera out he had swallowed the rat. After he swallowed the rat he spread his wings. Maybe to make space in his stomach for the rat. Who knows. We think rats are gross but hawks probably think rats are tasty morsels. Hawks probably think of rats the way we think of a big fat carnitas burrito or a pepperoni pizza. Tasty, goes down easy and fills your belly. That is what hawks think of rats.

Kevin Doran told us that May was his favorite month for topwater LMB in the Delta.

Early June should be pretty good too.

When you add the tide influence it changes everything compared to still water bass fishing.

If I were still in California I would just go Monday through Friday being retired.

I would look for days with very low wind too.

I guess if I was better with the tides I would consider that too.

Andy Guibord told me the best topwater LMB fishing in the Delta for him was when it was "breathless".

A very serious protégé of Kevin Doran's, Gary Hinman, told me that the top water bass for him was all summer.

The Delta has LMB, panfish, SMB and Striped Bass.......amazing place.

Thanks John......all your wonderful post with exciting photos are inspirational to many.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........