Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henrys Fork Advice

Nice to see that some members here are still making the Pilgrimage to ID/MT in the summer.

Many California anglers fish NorCal in May/June for trout then take off in July/August/September for ID/MT, etc.

Then Oct/Nov is good again in NorCal.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Thanks PV and Idadon! Appreciate everybody’s input very much. PV I will definitely take you up on that and PM you closer to my departure for a report.
    An update for you. I have not been out on the HF but I hear it is fishing pretty decent now with smaller dries (drakes, caddis). South Fork is also getting better with dry stones and droppers, especially in the lower-middle sections. The flow out there is very high.

The blue lines are fishing great and the smaller freestone rivers too. We had a 40-50 fish day on the Hoback last week.

I am floating the narrows of the Teton on Sunday and can post a report about how it is but I expect it to be good with big foam flies.

Since float day will be a real workout, tomorrow will probably be a small stream day close to home. Monday the same. We will try the Greys next weekend.

I was in SF for work the past couple days so haven't fished since this past Sunday or so.

Be careful floating that Teton River canyon. A good friend lost his drift boat in there years ago in some challenging water. The the flip side, there used to be some trophy trout in that stretch, lots of rattlers too. I used to hike down many years ago but don’t have the legs for it anymore.

Yep. We are going with a guide (in a raft) who floats the canyon several times a season. He will be on the oars.

The Henry's Fork is in very good shape. I've fished it every year for the past 50+ years and am on it for most of the season. The silt spill was 30+ years ago and doesn't have much effect on today's fishing. The fishing last year was exceptional, with large numbers of 16-20" fish in the population and many of those have survived another year to become 20" and bigger this season. Warm water was not a problem last year - the main issue is high flows for irrigation during the middle of the summer - and even that doesn't stop the good fishing. The best times for fishing are mid June to mid July and again in the fall, but the river in the Island Park area has good hatches and rising fish throughout the summer. The key to the fish population is winter flows - good winter flows promote good survival, and the winter flows have been good for the past three years, thanks to the efforts of the Henry's Fork Foundation. The lower river below Ashton is good until about mid July, then not very good until September, but has a terrific population of Browns in the 18" range.

Thanks FF,

This sounds like really good intel.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........