Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crank your reel with your left hand or your right hand?

Bill, I was born in western Chicago suburbs. I grew up in a small unincorporated town and had fields and empty lots to play ball in all year. I spent a good amount of time with friends and my brother riding our bikes to local farm ponds to catch mostly bullheads and some decent sunfish which were brought home and cleaned and part of the weekly food budget. Started on a fly around 12 or so and our family had relatives we visited a lot in WI. I still have a Shakespeare Wonderod and Garcia automatic reel from those days. Lived up in northern MN for many years and had the streams and Lake Superior at my back door. Wonderful summers and fall, not so much winters or springs.

Something that always struck me as funny was when I got into spinning I tried to talk my Dad and uncle into using mono because it was so much less visible than there black lines and steel leaders. Years later when I got into bass tourneys and braided line came into the market one of the things encouraged then was to mark the lines with a black marker to make them less visible. Funny world of fishing we live in.

I have you bookmarked and will make sure to take time to go through your forum and enjoy all the aspects of it. I'm happy to see someone still supports the bulletin board type of forum.

Vic, Our childhoods were similar......we were riding our bikes down south of Sacramento in the farmland with sloughs, ponds and creeks. We put our fishing rods and pellet guns on our bikes and our dogs ran alone with us.

When I was about 8 my grandmother took me to Sears and bought me a spinning rod and fly reel with some line. She took me down South Land Park to one of the three "duck ponds" where I would fish and she would read the paper.

I am excited you are on our forum.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Since I did a lot of conventional bass fishing, I got into the habit of blacking out my mono or florocarbon 12" from the lures or soft bait. they say floro is invisible in the water. I did an experiment with mono and floro. I tied the two together and put a weight on each end and hung it over my diving board. I dove in and looked at each line and you could see the sunlight reflecting through both. Although the floro didn't have a lot of light refracting down through the line, it did have some.
    Jay Murakoshi

I guess that FC is supposed to sink a little faster than mono.

I think chironomid lake fly fishers use hand tied FC leaders on their floating lines to sink their midge emergers a little faster.

Like mono, FC comes in all different consistencies with some limper and some stiffer.

In Florida they use harder, stiffer SW FC for bite or shock tippet, 20 to 40# for inshore.

**Luckily in America you can use what ever, when ever, for now anyway.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........