Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crank your reel with your left hand or your right hand?

Default Crank your reel with your left hand or your right hand?

This is a highly debated subject........and confusing.

Most don't realize that everyone is different....................physiologically.

My uncle Dean is 100% ambidextrous and I can't do anything with my left hand.

This is a serious subject........do you crank with your left hand or your right hand? (Let's assume for now that we are dealing with only right handed anglers).

Stan Hellickson, owner of Fly fishing Specialties, said that many of his customers change from left hand wind to right hand wind after they went on a good saltwater fly fishing trip.

Everyone, take a fly rod and put a fly reel on it with a light drag.

Now crank the reel as fast as you can with your left hand.

Then switch the reel around to the right and crank as fast as you can with your right hand.

If you can crank as fast and as smoothly with your left hand as you can with your right hand then go left hand wind.

If you can not crank fast and smooth with your left hand you might consider going right if you are ever going after big, fast fish.

Please read this slowly so you understand what I am trying to say.

Today 90% of right handed fly fishers cast right hand and reel left hand an fish mostly with indicators......LOL.

70 years ago most fly reels and baitcasting reels came setup with a right hand crank only.

Spinning reels (and monofilament) became popular after World War II and were set up to crank with your left hand.

Now spinning reels can be instantly converted from right to left or left to right.

Today baitcasting reels come either right hand crank or left hand crank but not interchangeable.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    This is a highly debated subject........and confusing.

Most don't realize that everyone is different....................physiologically.

My uncle Dean is 100% ambidextrous and I can't do anything with my left hand.

This is a serious subject........do you crank with your left hand or your right hand? (Let's assume for now that we are dealing with only right handed anglers).

Stan Hellickson, owner of Fly fishing Specialties, said that many of his customers change from left hand wind to right hand wind after they went on a good saltwater fly fishing trip.

Everyone, take a fly rod and put a fly reel on it with a light drag.

Now crank the reel as fast as you can with your left hand.

Then switch the reel around to the right and crank as fast as you can with your right hand.

If you can crank as fast and as smoothly with your left hand as you can with your right hand then go left hand wind.

If you can not crank fast and smooth with your left hand you might consider going right if you are ever going after big, fast fish.

Please read this slowly so you understand what I am trying to say.

Today 90% of right handed fly fishers cast right hand and reel left hand an fish mostly with indicators......LOL.

70 years ago most fly reels and baitcasting reels came setup with a right hand crank only.

Spinning reels (and monofilament) became popular after World War II and were set up to crank with your left hand.

Now spinning reels can be instantly converted from right to left or left to right.

Today baitcasting reels come either right hand crank or left hand crank but not interchangeable.
    Cast right, reel right

the issue it's not just about reeling but also casting and the ability to quickly fight a fish with your rod while reeling and also casting. My dominant hand is the right one and I want it handling the rod and will reel with my left hand. We don't realize but most people being right handed, reel with the left one...........but if you reel with the right one you are real "classy" and traditional and applies both to fly fishing and baitcasting.

Didn't Lefty Kreh say to reel with your dominant hand?
    Works for me.
    A guide in Alaska was fond of saying "whatever turns your crank."

Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Bill, I reel with the hand that I am the most comfortable with. Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Bill, I reel with the hand that I am the most comfortable with. Carl
    That is a good answer......well done Carl.

I put fly lines on fly reels for over 50 years so I dealt with this more than most who are still alive today.

We would actually let people try it both ways for a while so they could decide for themselves.

Many "tackle jockeys" like to decide for the customer and just get it done so most cast right and reel left.

If that feels very awkward to you then try cranking right.

If you go to a good fly shop they will help you decide which hand to crank with and then put all together with the right amount of backing and the latest knots/connections.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Hi Bill, I have both. Most of my reels are configured for LH crank because that's what feels right to me. I have some old Hardy Perfects and some saltwater reels that do not convert and that's OK, but I prefer holding the rod in my dominant hand when fighting fish. Of course, there is the argument for holding the rod in the non-casting hand to balance out muscle fatigue, but it still feels odd to me. I fished RHW bait casters and trolling reels when I was a kid, and right-hand crank still feels right on those. With fly reels I still prefer left and can crank a LHW reel faster than a RHW reel after years of practice. Also, I can often take up slack running line very quickly by spinning the spool from the palm rim.

I will find out my preference in salt water when I go to Loreto later this month with both RHW and LHW reels.

Bob

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

People have successfully reeled with which ever hand they prefer for many many years - so in a way this is useless debate. Fishing history indicates there is no right or wrong answer.

However, a bigger question is do you completely release the line when you make your presentation cast - or do you form a loop with your finger and thumb that lets the line slide through during the cast but still allows you to maintain control of the line throughout the cast? If you release the line completely, you often have to flounder around and find the line with your non-rod hand before you can remove slack and start stripping. For some fish, especially salt water, it's important to be able to control the line and immediately remove any slack as soon as the fly hits the water. This valuable technique is followed closely by keeping the tip of your rod in the water when you start stripping. This prevents a sagging loop from forming between your rod tip and the water and keeps slack from forming in your line. I see too many anglers strip with the rod tip a foot or more above the water and their fly moves half the distance they want it to and when they strip strike, they are 50% effective because they have to remove that sagging loop of line first before they move the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    That is a good answer......well done Carl.

I put fly lines on fly reels for over 50 years so I dealt with this more than most who are still alive today.

We would actually let people try it both ways for a while so they could decide for themselves.

Many "tackle jockeys" like to decide for the customer and just get it done so most cast right and reel left.

If that feels very awkward to you then try cranking right.

If you go to a good fly shop they will help you decide which hand to crank with and then put all together with the right amount of backing and the latest knots/connections.

Bill,

Lefty would claim you should always reel with your dominate hand and he would bet you a steak diner he could retrieve his line faster than you could if you didn't use your dominate hand. One man's opinion.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    People have successfully reeled with which ever hand they prefer for many many years - so in a way this is useless debate. Fishing history indicates there is no right or wrong answer.

However, a bigger question is do you completely release the line when you make your presentation cast - or do you form a loop with your finger and thumb that lets the line slide through during the cast but still allows you to maintain control of the line throughout the cast? If you release the line completely, you often have to flounder around and find the line with your non-rod hand before you can remove slack and start stripping. For some fish, especially salt water, it's important to be able to control the line and immediately remove any slack as soon as the fly hits the water. This valuable technique is followed closely by keeping the tip of your rod in the water when you start stripping. This prevents a sagging loop from forming between your rod tip and the water and keeps slack from forming in your line. I see too many anglers strip with the rod tip a foot or more above the water and their fly moves half the distance they want it to and when they strip strike, they are 50% effective because they have to remove that sagging loop of line first before they move the fly.
    Excellent point about letting your running line go or not. It is a good idea to learn how to keep control of the running line.

Another thing I see is some looking at their back cast while fishing. I guess it is necessary with brush and trees behind you but not out in open water on a skiff. If you are sight casting you need to keep control of your running line.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958