This is a highly debated subject........and confusing.

Most don't realize that everyone is different....................physiologically.

My uncle Dean is 100% ambidextrous and I can't do anything with my left hand.

This is a serious subject........do you crank with your left hand or your right hand? (Let's assume for now that we are dealing with only right handed anglers).

Stan Hellickson, owner of Fly fishing Specialties, said that many of his customers change from left hand wind to right hand wind after they went on a good saltwater fly fishing trip.

Everyone, take a fly rod and put a fly reel on it with a light drag.

Now crank the reel as fast as you can with your left hand.

Then switch the reel around to the right and crank as fast as you can with your right hand.

If you can crank as fast and as smoothly with your left hand as you can with your right hand then go left hand wind.

If you can not crank fast and smooth with your left hand you might consider going right if you are ever going after big, fast fish.

Please read this slowly so you understand what I am trying to say.

Today 90% of right handed fly fishers cast right hand and reel left hand an fish mostly with indicators......LOL.

70 years ago most fly reels and baitcasting reels came setup with a right hand crank only.

Spinning reels (and monofilament) became popular after World War II and were set up to crank with your left hand.

Now spinning reels can be instantly converted from right to left or left to right.

Today baitcasting reels come either right hand crank or left hand crank but not interchangeable.