Thread: Guess Where I Went?

Default Guess Where I Went?

Last week I went to visit my daughter who just returned to the U.S. from Argentina. She and her husband had been down there trying to sell some property and finally had enough. The good ol’ USA never looked so good she says.

“Be sure and bring a couple of fly rods so we can go fishing” she says, and you don’t have to ask me twice.

This area where she’s at is surprisingly full of water with lots of small creeks and streams and tons of warm water species. So that was going to be our target fish, or so we thought. Unfortunately the weather didn’t cooperate and the wind blew so hard it was impossible to even cast. That’s fishing.

But, after seeing all of those nice close-ups of John’s bass I had to copy a few pictures of the bass and sunfish from around where I was. Now, lets see if any of you can identify what these fish are. They all came out of the same area.

Obviously this is a bass, but what kind?

Here’s another of the same kind.

Bluegills are everywhere in this country, but here’s a couple that are a little different.

Now here’s a new one for most of us. No, I’m not in Central America.

Like most species color variations differ a lot.

I’ll post the rest of the story after we’ve had a few guesses.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

?????????????????????????
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Rio Grande Cichlids ? Guadalupe Bass ?? Redbreast Sunfish ? Texas ?

D.~
    Last edited by David Lee; 05-28-2022 at 10:40 AM.

I will wild guess that is a spotted bass and you are fishing for them in their native range in Alabama. A guy on a podcast said Alabama has more fish species than any other state. That last one looks like some crazy Amazonian fish but the others look like they could live in Alabama. Good pictures for sure.

Or, maybe you are on the Feather River up near Yuba City.

Default and my Google-Fu says

That Dennis got it right, Texas. Maybe San Marcos River, between Austin and San Antonio

I'd have to say that David got it right with the exception of the sunfish which I call a Long Ear. But there are so many variations of colors and hybridizing that some get mixed up everywhere. Take a look at all the variations in blue gills even out here.

This part of Texas is called the Hill Country around the Austin area, and I was really amazed by the amount of water and creeks and streams. What was more amazing is the amount of growth in the area. Technology galore. It's like they picked up Silicon Valley and Los Angeles, mixed them together and moved them both to Austin.

There's a really nice fly shop just north of Austin in the town of Round Rock called Living Waters Fly Fishing. They were a great help in pointing us in good directions to fish if the wind had layed down a bit. Maybe next time.

If you're ever in this part of Texas and want something different to do, Austin has it all.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I used to live near Round Rock... but I moved away when I was 4. If I ever go back to visit, I have to make sure to bring my rod!

NK