Thread: Molokai Bones

Default Molokai Bones

Went to Molokai when they cancelled our Christmas Island trip

Went in search of big bones on the flats.

Fished with my friend Doug as a plan B on missing our trip

We used Joe Kalima as our guide , and we got to fish some clear huge flats.

Got this nice omilu and had it for dinner last night.

We had fished it years back and the flats were very muddy but the bones are very hungry there.

We had a great time and Doug got to do some bow hunting. He got a pig on the Big island and Axis deer on Molokai and is now hunting on Lanai.

But he was able to get this nice one on Molokai.

It wasn't Christmas Island, but it was still smiles all around.
    Don Memmer

On our way to Christmas Island (1980s) during our layover on Oahu we took a plane to Molokai to fish with local guide, "Walter".

When we got there they said he had gone to Oahu for a wedding or funeral? We just toured the island and talked to the locals.

We met "Fun Hogs" at a resort at the West end of the island who rent kayaks and they told us that during the low winds of summer

people take kayaks and camp on the beaches of the entire north side of the island. They drop them off at the East end of the island

and they paddle and camp the entire high side with giant bluffs of the island. Sounded cool to us.......

I guess we have all read about the village of people who have Leprosy down the middle of the north side with high sea cliffs.

Don, I guess all the island have some flats and bonefish but is Molokai the best for bone fishing?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If you want a 10lb bonefish then Molokai is probably one of the best spots. There are more places on Oahu, but because of the pressure the bones often have lock jaw and are difficult to get to eat. The bones on Molokai will follow and chase the fly and eat. The flats are expansive and you have enough area to land a really big bone. Maui has some areas but not as many fish. Kauai is limited and not as many fish. The Big Island has the fewest flats, but I know where the bones are. If I see a couple then it is a good day for me. On Molokai you see lots of big ones, not many small ones, but they net the bones for food. If it was catch and release there you would have the best bonefishing in the world with size, flats and numbers. The only problem there is the short window you get to fish. You need a low tide incoming in the morning. The wind is crazy there by 10:30am every day. Some days in the summer will be kona winds and calm but that is very rare. It is great for hunting as well. It is like old Hawaii, and a tight nit community, so it helps to have a local guide to put you on fish.
    Don Memmer

Great info Don.......

At one time I heard the people on Molokai wanted to succeed from the USA.

They gave up the idea when they realized they would loose their welfare.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Nice work Don,and I guess if you're used to fishing Kiritimati the wind won't present too much of an obstacle
    As C.I.seems interminably out of reach I'm considering the Cocos Keeling Islands off the north west coast of Western Australia.
    There's big Bonefish to be had there as well as Bump Heads and the usual pelagic chompers.Google is your friend.
    Cheers
    P.S.the wind blows like hell there too

Interesting.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-TeAC8R7nE
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Don,

Those are some really fine bones anywhere you got them. You look to be using some larger flies too. On Aitutaki they use some large Yellow/ white for the big bones there too. Even yellow plugs take them in Itu's Bones video.
    That wind looks pretty tough where you were.

Did you get your guide on Molokai or did he come as a friend? Where'd you stay?

Aloha, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

At higher tides on Christmas Island we fished for larger bones in 3 to 4 feet of water with longer 15' leaders, and larger, #2-#4 heavier flies.

On Andros Island, Bahamas out of a polled skiff some use a 9 weight rod, longer, heavier leader and larger flies for big Bones over 10 pounds.

Fred Gordon fished there and said for Bones over 15# he use almost no drag.

In the Florida Keys for big Bonefish Al Perryman said some use 10 weight rods in deeper flats on big tournaments with bigger flies .

I imagine that in deeper water like in the Hawaiian Islands many us longer leaders with bigger, weighted flies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Hey Tony got Joe Kalima as our guide. He has aboat and you kinda anchor on these blue holes and bones swim by. You can also get out and wade. We stayed at Molokai shores $120/ night. Food was pretty good and reasonable. Air fare on Mokulele air is a little high but you get a scenic view of the islands.
    Don Memmer