Thread: Domestic Flights

Default Domestic Flights

Greetings,
    I will be flying out of CA to GA soon and was wondering what the current restrictions are for carry on.
    Looking to carry on

Pliers
    Nippers
    Fly boxes
    Hook hone
    Rod Tubes

Thoughts? My only concern is the pliers and nippers.....

Thanks,
    J. Ice

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Greetings,
    I will be flying out of CA to GA soon and was wondering what the current restrictions are for carry on.
    Looking to carry on

Pliers
    Nippers
    Fly boxes
    Hook hone
    Rod Tubes

Thoughts? My only concern is the pliers and nippers.....

Thanks,
    J. Ice
    There is a posted policy, but there is also the opinion of the individual TSA people who happen to check your bag, and their opinion if more restrictive than the policy is what really matters.

Generally I check everything for this reason, but in theory, you should be fine with all those items according to published TSA policy. but I would probably check or ship ahead the pliers and nippers if it were me.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

I have flown with all those items and never had a problem on domestic flights. I lash my double-barrel rod/reel tube (4pc rod) securely to my bag so it counts as one carry-on. My small pliers, nippers, and trout flies were never flagged for inspection.

Thanks people for the responses.
    Its been a while since I've flown with my gear.
    Funny thing happened once..
    I was flying back from a job in NY and had a 8" sample of 0.6" Strand (wire rope) in my carry on and my sage rod tube & gear. TSA stops me and starts digging thru my gear and pulls out the sample.
    In a huff, he starts questioning me and saying it is against the rules as it could be used as a weapon and I best decide what I want to do with it.....
    All this time I am looking at my 3'6" metal rod tube on the table next to him.
    Need less to say I told him to keep it. I grabbed my gear and moved out of there ASAP!

Thanks again,
    J. Ice

My first thought would be the hooks on the flies. Anything that is sharp or pointed could be considered a weapon. Put them in your checked baggage and you'll be fine.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180