Thread: Truckee Report

Default Truckee Report

Had a very enjoyable 2 day trip fishing the Truckee river this last week. River is in great shape and fished well. This is my favorite time of year to fish it during runoff, actually prefer it higher, up to 2k as long as clarity is good enough. in the high water years we had I didn't even bother putting on waders. It was 900 in town, but clarity was near gin clear so got to fish zebras and small baetis patterns as droppers in addition to the standard rubberlegs and worms. No streamer fish this trip for me. Wind was very intense the first day in the canyon. Also didn't see a single fish rise the whole trip. May have heard one or two. There were some march browns and baetis out. Will try to go back at least once more the next 4-6 weeks.

Happy fishing everyone, this is a great time of year to be standing in a river.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3689 (1).jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	896.5 KB 
ID:	18043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3693 (1).jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	747.8 KB 
ID:	18044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67328985135__73EA4376-EA0A-483D-8794-23A6A633AD4E.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	921.6 KB 
ID:	18045

Thanks J,

Very inspiring post......

Those are some gorgeous wild trout.

I guess the Grand Slam on the Truckee river is still a Brown, Rainbow and Whitefish?

We use to drive up in the summer during the week for the evening hatches.

Less than 2 hours from Sacramento to Truckee.

The Truckee river is not that forgiving but those who learn it can get some large wild trout.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank you for the report. Heading up a couple of times in the next 3 weeks to wet a line. I have had a few visits on the Truckee from the Whistling Rainbow ( Mr. Whitey) over the years, but nothing like on the Big Hole River, where they are all over. Same with some parts of the Beaverhead. Apparently they can be decent eating if you don't mind picking your way through a few bones?

Also known as Senor Blanco and Mr. Applecheeks.

Bob

Dr. John Mest, Manhattan, Montana taught me how to tie flies back in the early 1970s. And John canned Whitefish and made sandwiches all year with his product. Best, Bob

so funny because ive never gotten a single whitefish out of the truckee...and that was the river we fished most with my dad growing up. did a 3 day overnight float on the green river last summer and it was white fish city from end of b section to take out but thats really been my only experience with them. fighting wise i found them comparable to pikeminnow but im sure much tastier if we kept one.

long live the whitey, in the fall they are all over on the Snake. i can even catch em swinging with the trout spey now and then, and they'll also eat BWOs on top at times.