Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Skaters

Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    what is the "skater" I tied my allot of my muddlers with a tight packed head and trimmed them on the bottom to plane up. They skated very well. Also tied some more sparse that swung like a hairwing. Most of my fish on a skated fly were on a muddler.

Russell
    Did someone answer this question? I thought a skater is a dry fly, like a giant Humpie, isn't a muddler subsurface? Shows what I (don't) know.

The deer hair head on an unweighted muddler helps it float.

Then they "riffle hitch it."

The "Bomber" which is originally an Atlantic salmon fly is popular for skating.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Never tied muddlers before (im obviously not a serious tier) but ones ive store bought have been both weighted and unweighted. The unweighted ones ive both swung and dead drifted upstream as i would any dry; the only truly large trout i hooked out of the west walker took a dead drifted muddled on the surface. It was such a surprise blowing out of the water i set way too fast and broke off.

We've been having a great time over these past few weeks swinging on top and just subsurface.

Skaters of all types from your traditional muddlers, to Chuckie Joe's it and even light foam skaters have been getting some sweet blow ups on top. Fished with a scandi on personally hand tied mono tapered leaders. We are also having good success grease lining, fishing slightly subsurface with personally hand tied fluoro tapered leaders with a good number of more traditional style spey flies. Flies like green butt skunks, gt40s, Heisenbergs, silvey spey flies, silver hiltons, green butt hiltons, obsidian Johnsons, anderson euphorias, lady Caroline's, pimps, bh assasins, brindle bugs and many others.

If you plan on tying up some flies, try tying a size 6 fly on a sz5 or sz4 hook, this will help get the fly down deeper when grease lining and give a more traditional swing that the fish want.

No need to fish sink tips this time of year, fish are on the move and grabby.

Get out, get swinging and get bent.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Brian...Thanks for talking and teaching the classic Steelhead and Atlantic Salmon fly fishing methods.

I love reading your great information here.

It takes a special kind of fly fishing guide in Nor Cal to move past the steady diet of indicator fishing for clients.

Today you have customers who want to Spey cast for Steelhead and will settle for more learning and less catching.

Two-handed/Spey fly fishing for Steelhead in Nor Cal really slowed down the sales of indicators.

I am still better with my single handed rods, swinging flies for Steelhead, than I am with two-handed rods.

To transition to Spey/Two-handed fly fishing you need to first get a balanced outfit put together first.

Then get some ongoing Spey casting instruction.

There are always people on the American somewhere practicing Spey casting that you can get help from as well.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill, I take great joy and pleasure showing anglers that you can hook fish pretty consistently without using an indicator and at times out fish an indicator if you know the what where when why and how.

I just had the pleasure of guiding Terry and Jim on the Trinity and it was a hoot. Found some fish, worked for some fish, talked about old buddies who we've recently lost and made some new memories, we are all looking forward to our trip together in Sept 2023.

There's always time to pick up that 2 hander Bill. Jim who is 80 is still out there doing it, and one of my recent trips I guided famous jazz pianist Denny Zeitlin who is 84 and his friend Frank who is also over 80. He books 3 day trips in early Sept and late Sept on the Trinity as well as 3 day trips in May and June for shad. Then a few local trips here and there on the Feather for steelhead and the Yuba for trout, all on a 2 hander. You are never to "young" to try a 2 handed rod.

I hope and pray that at 80, I'm still able to get out there and be as active as these guys. Don't know if I'll be able to afford a guide, but as long as my knees can walk and back can row ill find a way to make it happen.

As Tim Mcgraw sings "like like you are dying"
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Steelhead Bee on the American
    Ldr’d a really nice fish last week and picked up his little brother at midday yesterday on the Bee.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4798644C-C1F0-433A-8FB9-EA2F3F9B4BF2.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	18436

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A154FE49-D000-43F3-B62B-2FCCB7E61F27.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	18437
    Last edited by Rye_Tyler; 10-18-2022 at 07:38 PM.