Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skaters

Used to hook a fair number of summerruns while fishing for searun cutts while October Caddis were out.
    Though a dry, a orange stimulator skated across the surface got a good amount of action.
    SF

Russell

It's all different lingo, when someone says I skated up a fish that could mean he or she used a traditional hair style muddler and skated it up or a foam style skater, aka skahopper and skated it up. So for me when someone says I was using a skater I assume a foam style fly and of course when they say a muddler that makes total sense. The skahopper was originally tied by Tony Wratley up on thr North Umpqua, many many years before, Scott Howell got it mass produced. The true skahopper is much more slimmed down that the mass produced version.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Brian,

The first fly out of my box is normally a size 6 orange bodied muddler, so I guess I’m not actually skating all that often. I’ve dry lined fish in December on the Trinity (when I forgot my poly leaders) but never tried fishing the surface in the winter. Impressed that you were able to raise fish (or even try) in the winter - what were the water temps?

And JColin, I haven’t met Brian, but people I know who have speak really well of him. And he’s crazy enough to try, and succeed, fishing the surface in the winter, so I’d add him to the list of guides you might want to spend a day with and shorten the curve. He’s also a strong advocate for the Trinity.

Brian, I'm old school I guess. Foam didn't even cross my mind like spun deer hair didn't seem to cross yours. Difference in generations of fly fishers. Skater is spun deer hair and hackle not foam and plastic bobbers are gear fishing.

Russell

This is an iconic little film that opened many eyes...................filmed on the Umpqua river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YER0kAjCBc

I guess you can pop them, skate them or dead drift them on top?

When you are on or near the surface you get a better quality of Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Rich Z. definitely knows his way around the N. Umpqua. He likes to pop the fly with a rhythmic vertical twitch of the rod. It makes my wrist get cramps just watching. Rich uses a custom foam popper similar to a Skahopper.

Another foam fly that's interesting is the Little Wang. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0mzKUiq1EQ Todd is into fishing these and bombers so he covers both styles.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 05-13-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Gosh what happened to the old Steelhead Bee by R.H. Brown? I have caught 90% of surface Steelhead on that fly alone and it's the original.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Yes the steelhead bee! Never fished it but have seen it in various books. I may have used the wrong terms, by skaters i just meant any dry you would skate for steelhead, muddlers, foam Ska-Oppers stinulators etc. as far as skating I thought it was basically swinging a dry on a tight line with a down and across or broadside swing as opposed to dead drifting. I could see popping/stripping working well at times. Thanks for the replies!

I prefer a muddler over a foam/hair skater any day of the week. I've got some in sz 4 and sz 2 that I throw during the winter months when things are just right to get those fish to come up. It is a better be lucky that good, but when it all comes together, there's nothing like getting a sz 2 muddler blown up into the air in mid Jan by an 8 lb fresh chrome dome. I have also found some rivers the foam/hair skaters produce more fish, while the traditional muddlers do better on others. Like I love muddlers on the T, but will fish a mini foam/hair Klamath skater on the K. I don't like big foam skaters, a bit more slender for me if I go that route. Nothing like getting that grab on the surface.

Hwchubb thank you for those kind words. Greatly appreciated.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Thanks Brian

Nice to have some Nor Cal fly fishing guides here to add some of their perspectives to the subjects.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........