Thread: Skaters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Skaters

If any of you are passionate about fishing skaters for summer runs I'd love to hear some of your stories if you'd be generous enough to share. I've dabbled in it on the Klamath and Trinity the past two falls, but have a real hard time sticking with it when I know the run or riffle I'm in is full of them and if I tie on a wet fly and a tip I'll be in business I have only raised two so far and they were dinks.

Eager to hear about far away rivers too, not just the K and T, for those who have had the fortune of fishing BC etc thanks

Chris Pasley told me one of the best bets he knew of is the Grande Ronde river in October because it has October Caddis activity.

Veteran guide and shop owner Herb Burton and his crew have skated muddlers for decades in the lower Trinity river in the Fall.

~40 years ago I watched Chris Pasley "dead drift" big Royal Wulff dry flies to Steelhead on the Dean river in British Columbia.

About 30 years ago one of our guides on the Deschutes river would come down behind us and skate flies with some success.

Here are dozens of videos on YouTube about skating flies for Steelhead.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+for+steelhead
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

thanks Bill!! have seen a few of those videos but not all of them, appreciate it. Loved desert dries and everything by todd moen of course. that was on deschutes if i remember right.
    Last edited by Jcolin; 05-09-2022 at 07:08 PM.

I was at WSU in the 90's and spent 4-5 days a week on the Grande Ronde and the Clearwater. Most of that time I spent skating a steelhead muddler. You would have incredible hits on the surface with this technique. Almost like a bass. You could mend and controll a slow swing or add some stripps to it. This is also when I started seeing the spey rods showing up and when I bought my first.
    I also had some luck on the N. Umpqua. Would strip the fly pretty fast as it skated and picked up a few.
    Good luck. Its worth a trip up to the Clearwater for this. The Grande Ronde has become a little private now at allot of the access I once fished and is quite a bit busier since WA state developed all of the public access points and posted it.

Russell

Here's a good video of skating flies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YER0kAjCBc
    Last edited by RSK; 05-09-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Did some skating with clients this winter Dec Jan Feb and March with some decent success. It's all about timing conditions the right water and the right fish, the key out of all of that is the right fish. Some of the best times are Sept to Nov. My buddy's and fellow guides at the Trinity Fly shop love to skate, all they do is swing. Lots of knowledge in that shop and glad to be part of their crew. There's no bad time to skate, just better conditions to skate in/at. This being done on the Klamath Trinity Lower Sac Yuba and Feather for California waters, but also good success on North Umpqua Rogue and a few rivers in AK.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Brian hit the keys, especially with the right fish. Also, the ability to swallow your pride helps.

I’ve spent more hours than I care to admit chasing surface steelhead ( mostly with a hitched muddler more than a skater) and don’t have huge numbers of fish to show for it - barely small numbers in fact. Its a matter of wanting to get that surface grab, and ignoring the fact that there may be a bunch in the run that aren’t looking up. I remember something about doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result…

Your best bet by far is the Klamath in September and October for surface fish, at least as far rivers close to Sac. The Trinity is better than it gets credit for, August thru October (and April). The Rogue is also good in that same time frame. The North Umpqua is in a class by itself, spectacularly beautiful with a surprising % of fish that will grab on the surface. That said, it has declined substantially in recent years, but remains the only river I’ve raised a 10#+ steelhead on the surface (notice I didn’t say landed). The American, except for when the caddis are hatching, has been a complete bust for me on the surface, and I’ve put in a LOT of hours trying when the river is above 50 degrees, which is most of the time.

Again, you have to REALLY want to get that surface grab to stick with it. I’d recommend a few things. One, find a copy of Bill McMillan’s Dry Line Steelhead, which will be pricey. Talk with Terry Thomas and Joe Punla at Fly Fishing Specialties, who are two of the best I know on surface steelhead. Book a day with Jason Hartwick on the Trinity - he shortened my learning curve by years in one day. Check out some of the ongoing surface steelhead threads on SpeyPages, it’s the surface steelheader’s version of an AA meeting (“Hi, I’m Wayne, and I’m a dry line fanatic…”). And last, just put in the time. It’s worth the payoff, even if it is a looong time between players.