Thread: Bass are Smart

Default Bass are Smart

Some days it seems like the bass are really smart. I make a lot of casts and nobody grabs and when I spot one they know exactly what I am up to, ignore my bug and then swim off. I feel like I have been fishing for them for a while and this should not happen but it does. Very humbling. I guess you just keep showing up and making your best effort.

Enough complaining. I did get one today which I will say is way better than not getting one. I spotted him in a weedy backwater sipping bugs off the surface like a trout. I thought I spooked him but he stayed around. First topwater fish and first underwater photo of the year. Lucky catch. I tried another turtle shot but they were less cooperative than the one I shot a couple of days ago so the photo is a little grainy. There is a damsel fly sitting on him which is interesting. The carp were chasing each other around in some sort of spawning frenzy. You could see a big females being followed by four or five smaller males. Quite a scene.

I love top water fly fishing of all types. Bass seem to be the most available fish for doing that in CA or FL.

They say more money is spent going after LMB than any other fish and more articles are written about these 'bucket mouths'.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........