Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your summer plans?

Default What are your summer plans?

I am itching for summer. Don't get me wrong. I hate the heat. But I love the fishing.

May 27-June 6 I will be chasing the salmonfly hatches around East Idaho and SW Montana. The HF should be prime then, and I hope to catch the hatch in the canyon of the Firehole on opening weekend in YNP.

If gas prices come down a bit, I will try to find a few days on the Upper Sac and McCloud between June 6-30 while I am back in CA.

Most of July I will be at the cabin in East Idaho and my goal is to fish 4-5 days a week minimum. My goal is also to fish primarily 2ndary, 3rdary and higher tributaries of the Teton, HF, South Fork, Snake, etc. giving my 1, 2 and 3wts a proper summer workout. I intend to, as much as possible, limit my fishing to small streams I have never fished before versus spending lots of time revisiting known waters. That said, there are two or three prior experienced streams that I know will draw me back...despite my best efforts. The trip reports will be, I hope, epic.

Surviving the heat and crummy fishing of August 1-27 in Sacramento will be a real challenge. Don't be surprised if I post a quick hitter trip report from god only knows where during that time, but if I can't get away, maybe the Yuba will cooperate with good hopper fishing as a nearby alternative.

August 27-30 I will be back in Victor, then September 1-6 in Fernie BC. By then fall will have set in out in the Tetons and I will be back in East Idaho feeding the trout baetis and soft hackles if all goes to plan.

I need to find some time on the Trinity to skate up a steelhead or two, but as you can see my schedule is pretty full.

So that's my plan. HBU?

That's a full plate !!

I'll get out to Pena Blanca (and maybe Patagonia and Arivaca ) for Bass until Monsoon comes , then tend Garden/fight the Bugs the rest of Summer and early Fall . Start getting in shape for our Baja Winter trip around October , but that's more casting and paddling than actual fishing . Hope your trips go well !!

D.~

One of my favorite things in dry fly fishing with a small outfit on a small stream like Rock Creek.

We might be RVing up to Maine during the Florida summer, 'July, August, September.'
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Man,

That is a full plate! This year, our younger daughter is getting married in Casper, Wyoming in late June. SO, what better way to enjoy this trip than to head out a week before the wedding and tie in some fishing the North Platte River?! Never fished it before, so I will take advantage of this. Already have a house on the river rented and four days of drifting along with 2 wade angling days.

Besides that, just going up to the house in Truckee to hit the T and several other local rivers more than I did last year. With the snowpack situation this year, it looks like it will be mostly golf up there after the 4th of July.

Bob

I got nothing. I need to come up with a plan. The plan could be get in my kayak, fight the wind in the Delta and work up a good sweat in search of bass. An alternative plan would be take my boat to Clear Lake, camp at the State Park and sweat a lot in search of bass.
    Last edited by John H; 04-27-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Boy, I’m pretty empty by comparison. Driving to see my Salt Lake City customers with a stop at Ruby Marsh and a guided trout Spey evening in Utah next month. Six days backpack trip into the Golden Trout Wilderness in July, water willing. My mother-in-law’s memorial in Maine with maybe a day chasing landlocked salmon. Looking at colleges in Seattle and Oregon, with hopefully some SRC fishing and possibly McKenzie redbands or summer steel. Lots of maybes, not much definite.

My plans include a comfy camp chair and waiting for a monster CARP to gulp down my Boily. If I get really energetic and my hip allows I may hit the HF or Henry’s Lake early on. I might do a little trolling for some Kokanee to smoke too. But seriously, the local Carp better watch out!

My plan for this summer? Get the new boat ordered. Buy the house down the street from Bills Florida digs and get the low down on all that Florida fishing he's been posting about. Boca Grande, you've got the life.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I got nothing. I need to come up with a plan. The plan could be get in my kayak, fight the wind in the Delta and work up a good sweat in search of bass. An alternative plan would be take my boat to Clear Lake, camp at the State Park and sweat a lot in search of bass.
    John, When it gets hot in the Valley take your boat and/or kayak to Lawson's Landing at the mouth of Tomales Bay.

https://fishlawsons.blogspot.com/

July, Aug, Sept are the best fishing months over there.

Stripers and Halibut up in the shallow sheltered Tomales bay attacked in by the schools of anchovies.

Dungeness crab is closed but we like the local bay and red crabs.

Clamming can be good with the right tides.

Surf perch on the north end of Dillon Beach too.

I have friends over there who will help you with the fishing, crabbing and clamming nuances.

I could see you going there every summer to beat the heat.

Marilyn and I loved it there........

65 degree highs all summer?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E. View Post
    My plan for this summer? Get the new boat ordered. Buy the house down the street from Bills Florida digs and get the low down on all that Florida fishing he's been posting about. Boca Grande, you've got the life.
    Hi Dave, Seriously, the fishing here could cost a guy his marriage.

Year round we merely look at the weather for wind around 10 mph or less on Monday through Friday.

LMB in the Winter/early Spring and Spring, summer and fall for inshore fishing.

It would be good to get out of here in "July, August and September" and go somewhere cooler.

If I knew about the fishing in Florida I would have been born here.

One of my fishing buddies has a neighbor who had what he thought was an 80# Tarpon on in our little Sebastian river Monday.

We have Snook, Tarpon, Jacks, Ladyfish and LMB in our little "jungle river".....

You could have a used 'single wide' in an mobile home park here with a used SUV and a used skiff.

The ultimate angling life for us would be a little place on the coast of Maine or the OR/WA coast and one here in Florida.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958