Thread: Fishing for Red's. Need a little help

Default Fishing for Red's. Need a little help

I have had a fishing trip planned for 2 years now. First it was Covid then it was Hurricane Ida the week before.
    Heading to Venice Louisiana next week for 2 days of Inshore and 2 day offshore SPIN fishing.
    I contacted the landing that we are going out of and ask about bringing a fly rod. They say to bring it but make sure I have every thing that I need. It's not their forte and there are no fly shops around.

I have purchased an 8wt Sage rod with an 8 wt Ross reel.
    That's all I have. I will be picking up about 12 flys from my local fly shop before I go.
    Any recommendations? Length and size of leader?

We will be staying on a house boat in the Marina so I hoping to do a little fishing after our boat ride too.
    ( Hopefully more room for casting)

Any help would be appreciated

According to LA Captain Greg Moon the top months to go to LA for Redfish are Oct/Nov and June.

https://louisianaflyfishingcharters....apt-greg-moon/

How to get prepared to fish out of Venice, Louisiana. - video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9WCkeTHDc

Fishing out of Venice, LA - video #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=158cszAyE3Q

Fishing out of Venice, LA -video #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZOp7Ool_Ow

Offshore they get big Yellowfin tuna in Feb/March:- video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c86YEvHPzM

If you don't have a fly fishing guide I don't know if I would bother to take your 8 weight.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

[QUOTE=

If you don't have a fly fishing guide I don't know if I would bother to take your 8 weight.[/QUOTE]

I almost always defer to experience , especially when it comes from Bill . Cannot agree with this , though !

A 4-peice fly rod and the gear that goes with it takes up very little room . More importantly , you could very well stumble on to a situation that is perfect for using that fly rod . Even if you try it and fail , you WILL learn from your experience . Just about every time I have been on fishable water .... without a fly rod , I have kicked myself . The few times I have tried and struck-out .... I have learned something .

Take your fly rig - 'cause you never know !! Oh , google Redfish Flies , you'll want the bulky ones as the water isn't very clear where you are going .

Hope you get 'em !!

D.~

Yes, take your fly rod. Flies for Redfish are simple and can be bought at most any FF shop. Just Google 'Redfish flies' to get some ideas. Leaders are simple also, nothing more than 9 feet of straight 30 pound test mono. You only need a floating line for the 8 wt, and while a Redfish fly line would be good, most any floating 8 wt line will work.

Who knows you might get lucky and nail a swamp donkey like I did!

I was just trying to be realistic......but most would take a fly rod.

Planning is 90% of any serious fishing trip.

Most of the time real fishing guides of all types have far better equipment on their boats than the 'average' client will bring.

Sounds like these guides have little interest, faith or knowledge about fly fishing?

I have heard dozen of stories about failed fly fishing trips because of poor planning.

At least these guys were honest. Some guides will say they take fly fishers but really don't have the knowledge or equipment.

If you have time to go on your own that week you would bring a fly fishing outfit, leaders and flies.

Your 9' #8 line 4pc rod with a WF8F Redfish line, 9' 15# Redfish/Seatrout 3 pk leaders and spool of matching tippet material.

Order a dozen Redfish flies from a fly shop in the Gulf........Texas, Louisiana, Florida.

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Leader should be no longer than 9ft and 7ft is probably better. I would go with 20# test.

Water is very dirty right now unless you are fishing way inside the marsh in grass ponds. I would have some big 1/0 crabs and bigger baitfish patterns in 2/0. Even slot Redfish will chew those big flies and there always bulls around especially if you are down around Venice.

Wind has been blowing 20ish for weeks on end (its kite season down here). But starting Monday going to have a much better week. I think I will have my skiff on the water Mon, Wed, and Thursday at least!

Also lots of big black drum tailing right now. Good luck with them. They won't move far to eat a fly and they don't see for crap. The key is to get it as close as you can to their face without spooking them.

Have fun!