Thread: Beautiful Spring day

Default Beautiful Spring day

It really was nice out there today. Clean air, cool temps, a little breeze, some clouds, rain on the way and bass doing their spring thing. I got some nice bass on jigging flies and almost even better than that got some nice bass pictures. You gotta love bass. I also spent some time on the carp but those rascals were a little too smart for me and gave me a painful snubbing but I will recover from it and have my revenge. It will be sweet. Until then I hope the bass will continue to be my friend.

I saw a beaver sitting on the bank. He had a wound in his side and there were flies all over him. He was moving a bit but he looked like he was fixing to die. I imagine the vultures were watching him. Kind of sad.

Last edited by John H; 04-23-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Default BASS!!!

John, glad you're back posting your ventures again (I needed a fix ). I really like the first photo of that translucent Damsel, the others are great, too. The fly is a crawdad imitation???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Looks like you had a fine outing! Nice bass. Good to see you out and about!

I am able to get out and about. I am very happy for that.

My camera has a microscope mode which is good for bugs but it seems to get the color wrong. That damsel had some green in it. The photo looks good as long as you don’t know the color is wrong.

That jig fly is just a generic jig but is the crawdad color. I have been carrying it around for several years and it finally paid off. I might have to try it a little more. I took the photo with it in the water so you could really see it.

What mode do you set your camera on. I've tried pretty much all the settings. I usually use the landscape setting. In a few weeks, I'm going to be using the "fish" setting or is it the underwater setting. I gotta find me a little floaty for my camera so It doesn't end up at the bottom of the Sea of Cortez like my GoPro did
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I use auto plus spot metering and have one of the user settings set up for that so it is ready to go. Spot metering gets the exposure right for the fish which is the one thing in the picture you need to get right. You can get away with messing up almost anything else in the picture but if you botch the fish exposure you don’t have much. I use the underwater wide setting for subsurface fish, microscope mode for bugs and that is about it.

You have to take some risks to get the shots but don’t drop the camera in the water. I almost lost mine last month. It was really close to being long gone. I will drop it someday. I just hope I don’t have too many good pictures on it when I do.
    Last edited by John H; 04-25-2022 at 09:15 PM.

I think the T4 model doesn't have spot metering. I have auto but like to use the P mode. I've used the microscope for shooting a lot of m flies.
    Thanks for the info
    Jay
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Can I ask what camera you use for these great pics?
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

Olympus TG-6 with a 19 mm lens they make for it. I do a little editing in photoshop elements.

thanks John, keep up the good work!
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"