Thread: Lower river non-wading situations

Default Lower river non-wading situations

A half dozen years ago I put my inflatable kayak in at Goethe park and had a pretty shaddy day fishing off an anchored position.

Sounds like right now the flows are too low and the fish too few for that to be a winner . . . can anyone offer any ideas on lower river spots where that activity could be practical? Do any areas adjacent to the Log Hole (which sounds like it is working!) work for that, in ways that wouldn't put an anchored boat into a combat fishing context where it interfered with bank fishers?

If I don't bring the boat, I'm probably still going to come up there and add to the bank traffic

I was just thinking about doing the same thing. I would think there has to be areas close to where the line up fishing is. I am wondering if somewhere around the Howe ave access would be worth a try. I am looking at Monday or Tuesday that I think I can get out. I will share if there is any success.

Sounds like a good plan -- I bet lineups will be thinner on weekdays.

I'm thinking the same, maybe put in at Watt or Howe and float down to Paradise beach, trying spots on the way. Might beat you to this tomorrow or Sunday, and will post on the results.

Got my inflatable out at Paradise beach, up and over the levee on wheels (a pretty decent workout), and spent a couple hours not catching in the vicinity of the Log hole. There was a rotating cast of between 15 and 20 bobber fishers lined up in the prime spot, and they got one confirmed shad between 4 an 6pm (one other fish they got looked really small, like a smolt).

The fish were around, and I did indeed see considerable pods milling around the boat. One really big group came through and I thought, "those bobbers are gonna go down" -- but none did! Maybe the sunlight and really clear low water limit the actual bite? Dusk has always been best for me, but late afternoon is also good when the catching is really happening.

One thing for sure: I don't think the yak was much help. The water is low enough that the likely spots in that particular area are all reachable with a bit of wading and casting.

Curious, where is the log hole? Is it in the section of river near paradise beach?

I'm not an American river expert, so I may have got it wrong . . . but I walked around the area and spotted a serious concentration of bank fishers downstream from a large log. There are lots of logs around, and I'm not sure that log was "the" log -- but I'd bet on it