Thread: Joe Shirshac Memorial Service

Default Joe Shirshac Memorial Service

Will be at 10 AM on 6 May at Sunset Lawn, Chapel of the Chimes at 4701 Marysville Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95838
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Thank you for the information Gordon!

Thanks Gordon.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

My brother Dick went to the memorial service for Joe yesterday.

He saw old friends like George and Peggy Farrel, Andy Guibord and Sara, Doug Muraki Jr and Bruce Porter.

Everyone received a nice card and on of Joe's flies.

When you pass at 99 most of your old friends have already passed on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joe.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	860.4 KB 
ID:	18035

*Like I said before, you could make a noel, biography or movie about Joe's amazing life.

Born in 1922 he live through the Great Depression and was in the US Navy in World War II.

He lived in Lewiston, CA and worked on the Trinity dams.

He was a Sacramento City Firefighter.

He painted houses, inside and out, and tied flies for fishing money.

He went in August for years to the famous Dean river for summer Steelhead in British Columbia, Canada.

Fished a lot of Norther California for trout, salmon, Shad, Stripers and Steelhead.

Joe started fly fishing the Klamath and Trinity rivers for Steelhead in the fall of 1952.

He fished the North Coast rivers for fall King salmon and winter run steelhead "back in the day".

Every summer he fished the Williamson river in southern Oregon for giant Rainbows and Browns.

He fish the famous central Oregon lakes ( with Joe Patterson ) like Crane Prairie, Hosmer, Davis and others.

He would drive to Idaho and Montana many years ago with his Suburban and travel trailer.

He fished Cooper's Minipi 'Anne Marie Lodge' for his favorite trout/char the giant Brook trout in Labrador.

He took groups to an old fly fishing lodge on the Meramitchi river for Atlantic Salmon in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Joe took groups to Christmas Island for Bonefish and Trevally starting when it opened in the mid-1980s.

One of his favorite trips was to the Tongariro river in North Island New Zealand for big Rainbow trout.

He loved taking groups to the Tsiu river in south west Alaska for wild fresh run Silver salmon.

For decades Joe took groups to the Brooks river in July in Alaska for fresh run Sockeye salmon and big Rainbows.

He fish the Florida Keys for some years until he caught and landed few giants on the fly.

One day at lunch on a big trip somewhere Joe said, "Bill, did you ever think we would fish all these wonderful places?" I said "NO".

Joe was not a "parking lot fly caster" but put him in a river to the top of his waders with some Steelhead he could out cast most.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It was a very nice service. I enjoyed seeing the pictures of Joe when he was a young man. I remember going to Joe's wife's service at the same church in the early 2000's, I don't think it had changed a bit.

Thanks to all who attended...

We are here in Florida with some temporary medical issues.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........