Thread: Call to action - save Lake Almanor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Call to action - save Lake Almanor

Folks,

There are people out there that want to steal the cold-water from Lake Almanor. Please if you can send letters to the FERC.

By stealing the cold-water from Lake Almanor - they will kill all the huge wild trout!

I have placed a link below to a blast I just sent out. Take a look.

https://conta.cc/37Dc1YG

Thank you for all your help!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Hi Lance,
    So the SWRCB is recommending to FERC that they make cold water releases of up to 250 CFS from the Canyon Dam intake tower from the middle of June through the middle of September as a condition of approval. They say this is to protect the trout from river temps that could go above 68 degrees in the North Fork of the Feather River for about 40 miles downstream between Rock Creek and Cresta dams. According to the flow charts I looked at the last 5 years they already average a release of 200-250 cfs during the summer months but in wet years it can average upto 500 cfs. The 250 cfs average would not seem to be a big deal and it is to protect the trout in the North Fork so that sounds like a good thing. Not sure if I am understanding this correctly, so please let me know if I am misunderstanding something? Maybe they were taking water closer to the surface that was warmer and now they want to take water from a deeper source that is colder?
    Last edited by tcorfey; 04-11-2022 at 04:48 PM.

The huge population in southern California runs this state.

They need all the water in northern California and I don't know if anything will stop them.

I guess all we can do it to try to stop them?

The good thing about the water in our higher elevation reservoirs is that it is clean.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, this is not asking for more water it is asking for about the same amount of water that is already flowing to the North Fork but, it is requesting the water come from an area of the lake where the water is colder in order to protect the trout from high temp water in the North Fork of the Feather river. At least that is how I read it. Can you point out where you saw a request for more water? I don't see it. Average flows on the North Fork over the last 5 years is around 200-250 cfs. The requirement being requested is for 250 cfs but they want the water to come from colder water in the reservoir which is deeper in the lake.

This solution to assist the trout in the North Fork was endorsed by California Sportfishing Protection Alliance.
    "https://calsport.org/news/cspa-defends-cold-water-for-north-fork-feather-river-lake-almanor/"

It seems summer flows in some years is much higher than 250 cfs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 8.06.45 PM.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	17966

I am trying to understand the reason for the opposition to providing colder water to the Trout in the North Fork of the Feather? Perhaps there is some kind of fear that releasing colder water from deeper in the reservoir will somehow raise the surface temperature of the water in Lake Almanor? I don't know, but I am trying to find out.

<<<I am trying to understand the reason for the opposition to providing colder water to the Trout in the North Fork of the Feather? >>>
    I have the same question. This is NOT the Lake Almanor Thermal Curtain proposal and people seem to be confusing the two in all the opposition letters I read.

Thanks for the clarification.......hope it is true.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........