Thread: Anybody fish Lake Sonoma?

Default Anybody fish Lake Sonoma?

I know its not close to Sacramento but for any other north bay folks on this forum. I've fished it the past couple springs for smallmouth. April-mid May has been good for me stripping clousers on a clear intermediate line. Patrick McKenzie guides it in addition to the Napa river and I know they do really well also on float n fly. I need to figure that out. I've only had sporadic luck with that using thingamabobbers and clousers with split shot, I know there is much more to it than that with the jaydicTors and jighead baitfish patterns they use. There were some really nice rainbows rising in the middle of the lake today, landed one about 16” and lost another much larger. They are dime bright, look just like steelhead fresh from the salt and fight like it too. I hooked them on a crayfish pattern 5’ or less below the surface. Interested if anyone else on here flyfishes the lake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D3164A8-1426-4682-9DED-DEE7125542C6.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	307.7 KB 
ID:	17949  

Inspiring report.....thanks.

Hope someone else has some feedback.

That does look like a wild Steelhead?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    I know its not close to Sacramento but for any other north bay folks on this forum. I've fished it the past couple springs for smallmouth. April-mid May has been good for me stripping clousers on a clear intermediate line. Patrick McKenzie guides it in addition to the Napa river and I know they do really well also on float n fly. I need to figure that out. I've only had sporadic luck with that using thingamabobbers and clousers with split shot, I know there is much more to it than that with the jaydicTors and jighead baitfish patterns they use. There were some really nice rainbows rising in the middle of the lake today, landed one about 16” and lost another much larger. They are dime bright, look just like steelhead fresh from the salt and fight like it too. I hooked them on a crayfish pattern 5’ or less below the surface. Interested if anyone else on here flyfishes the lake.
    Jcolin, thanks for the report. I live in Santa Rosa but have never fished the lake. Been to the hatchery a few times though. I understand those fish are landlocked steelhead. Just curious on where you put in with your float tube. I definitely wouldn't mind checking that out!

Thanks.

~Jeff

Hey Jeff, i put in at the public boat launch, just a mile or so on your left past the hatchery. Its been free to launch since covid, theres usually folks checking boats for zebra mussels at the entrance. I like using my pontoon with fins rather than my float tube since i can cover way more water with the oars. The water skiers and jet skis can be kind of obnoxious but most are pretty courteous as far as waking me. I think yorty creek is still closed but you can hike in. The bridge area by the public boat ramp is pretty good for smallies

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Hey Jeff, i put in at the public boat launch, just a mile or so on your left past the hatchery. Its been free to launch since covid, theres usually folks checking boats for zebra mussels at the entrance. I like using my pontoon with fins rather than my float tube since i can cover way more water with the oars. The water skiers and jet skis can be kind of obnoxious but most are pretty courteous as far as waking me. I think yorty creek is still closed but you can hike in. The bridge area by the public boat ramp is pretty good for smallies
    Ok cool. Thanks so much. I've got a pontoon also.

~Jeff