Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McCloud river Silt?

Default McCloud is somewhat fishable

Recent reports are that the water is still off-color but more green than brown.

Turbidity gauge shows some numbers below 5 (barely, 4.9).

Anglers reporting visibility in terms of multiple feet (2-3)

Word this last week-end was that all the tags were in use on the Conservancy.

This is all hearsay, have not been over there myself.

Good morning all,

I have tags for the conservancy on the Mccloud this coming weekend. I am checking to see if anyone has recent reports of the clarity and fishing up there. I am willing to fish other water in the area if the conditions do not look promising on the Mccloud. If it is still blown out, any guidance on other areas to fish and camp would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Default Mac has gone off again

We are having very warm Temps up here in Siskiyou county for this time of the year, high 80's to maybe 91 tomorrow
    and it looks like the Mac is getting bad again. Turbidity on the gauge is back up to 7.4 as of this morning (and still increasing).
    Talked to some anglers on Sunday who said it got much worse from Saturday to Sunday of last week-end.

I fished SVC last week and it was really skinny, I'd avoid it. The Upper Sac was in good shape all the way up past Cantara. Some October caddis coming off.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

Default what about a report?

Hey Mike, where did you end up fishing?

Bob: What do you mean by SVC?

Mccloud turbidity is slowly rising towards 10. Yikes. I don't see any history of precip in the area so wondering what's going on... We have a trip early November so I'm a bit concerned about visibility. Last 3 trips at bollibokka were chocolate milk (early july '21/late oct '21/late july '22).

Steven,

I ended up going to the McCloud to fish the conservancy. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and the clarity was about 3 feet. By the next morning it was down to around 18" and by that night it was less than that. My friend and I caught 5 fish each, mostly on dark nymphs.Ah-Di-Na only had one site open on Saturday afternoon. The other fishermen we spoke with had pretty slow fishing as well.

We decided to fish the Upper Sac on Monday and we found some nice fish on nymphs and dries.

Here are some photos that show the water clarity degrading.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2960.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	687.0 KB 
ID:	18398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0887.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	719.3 KB 
ID:	18399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2997.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	690.0 KB 
ID:	18400

Default what's going on..

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    Mccloud turbidity is slowly rising towards 10. Yikes. I don't see any history of precip in the area so wondering what's going on... We have a trip early November so I'm a bit concerned about visibility. Last 3 trips at bollibokka were chocolate milk (early july '21/late oct '21/late july '22).
    Ya, no rain, it is the temperatures. high 80's to low 90's here in Dunsmuir, so warm on the mountain (Shasta) melts the glaciers, which increases flows on Mud creek, which then carries silt into the McCloud. At least that is what we think is happening. Do not expect the river to clear up until it gets cold enough on the mountain that the melting stops or at least slows way down.

Mike: Thanks for the report and Pics

Has anyone fished into early November the Mac? I was wondering if the Oct Caddis will still be popping or if there may be any other hatches besides potentially BWO? Might be a bit late in the season for great fishing, especially with all the silt choking the insect communities. That being said, it has been a very warm October so maybe the hatch chart is shifting...

Default McCloud fishes great in early Nov

October Caddis are around until early December on the Upper Sac so I would expect the same on the Mac.

In past years the last two weeks of the regular season (first two weeks of Nov) have produced really good fishing.
    This year it is going to the interesting to be able to fish the Mac into Dec or until it snows enough that you can not get there.

Meanwhile, recent reports are fishing is picking up on the Mac. This last week, visibility was still limited (a couple of feet?), but fish were catch-able and some decent dry fly action occurred. No observed rising fish but they were willing to be induced to a dry. water color was light glacial tint almost white.
    Lots of silt on the river bottom. I really hope we get decent rain this winter to help flush it,
    if not I wonder if PG+E could be convinced to crank up the outflow from the Dam for a few days this winter to force a flush.

Also hearing reports of a fearless bear in the Ah-Di-Na campground, unafraid and willing to raid the campground right in front of people.
    Heard other reports second hand that included some car damage caused by the bear. Anyone else hear about that?