Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCloud river Silt?

Default McCloud river Silt?

I am worried about the McCloud this year (along with everyone else). Last year was chocolate from June-November and I'm sure there is still an enormous payload of silt that needs to move through the system. Let's pray there is no more glacial retreat this spring/summer and dam breaks. Has anyone experienced how the fish/bugs have rebounded from last year? I've heard the river bottom is still covered in silt and needs a good flushing...

Could be another tough summer on the Mccloud... From Ted Fay Fly Shop

http://www.tedfay.com/guidenotes

I think it’s time to share with you the impact that Mud Creek is having on the lower McCloud River and also the McCloud Reservoir that I’ve witnessed over the last 40 years.

The McCloud River, which I fished and guided for many years, has been going through some dramatic changes due to Mud Creek. Mud Creek is sourced from Konwakiton Glacier which due to climate change and drought is melting rapidly. As the glacier melts water gets trapped under it and at some point the water pressure releases creating massive mud flows cascading down from high up. Over the last 7 years it has produced some extraordinary mudflows and pictures of these events are shown below. Mud Creek used to flow under Pilgrim Creek Road bridge (which existed for many years). It still crosses Hwy 89 and flows through the Hearst property flowing into the upper stretch of McCloud Reservoir. In 2014 and last year these mudflows were dramatic in scale and dangerous. Ultimately all of this mud ends up in the reservoir, works its way to the dam and releases into the river. For those who know the McCloud and hold it dearly to their hearts last year rendered it unfishable for months starting in the summer and going into the fall.

Follow the thread of pictures below and you’ll get an idea of what is going on. In addition the mouth of Mud Creek where it intersects the McCloud River and reservoir has filled in. There is a big plug of mud now that has filled the upper reservoir. Ultimately this will all wash to the dam and effect the river below it. The river color is currently milky and will hopefully stay that way but ultimately it will get muddy. Mother Nature certainly has her way so keep your fingers crossed that the river doesn’t blow out.

Thanks Pupa................this is very important information on one of our Top 10 Blue Ribbon trout streams.

Over the past 50 years both Hat Creek and Fall river have both filled in with silt but not from a glacier.

I think the Upper Sac and Pit rivers are both OK.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Looks like Mccloud has started its summer turbidity surge. We may be SOL until late fall. So long friend...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turb.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	18131  

I just got back and can confirm that the river is somewhat cloudy, kind of a milky color but not brown. It would be a perfect steelhead color, not as good for trout. Still fishable but it'll probably get worse as the weather stays hot.

OTOH The upper Sac was low and clear with lots of insect activity. Very fishable but stealth is your friend.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 06-28-2022 at 02:00 PM.

Tahoe Joe, What day(s) were you there? Curious what to compare against the turb readings...

Thanks

Sunday and Monday around the TNC area. Monday seemed to be a bit more clear than Sunday but I don't have a Secchi disk to measure with.

Looks like turbitidy was:

26th: 3.8 - 23.2
    27th: 9.9 - 3.8

Default McCloud just got bad

Picture courtesy of Rick Cox.

McCloud below dam today.

Different folks have different ideas but I would consider it un-fishable.

Turbidity gauge say 35.00 right now but I bet it continues to go up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220713_200320.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	18216  
    Last edited by StevenB; 07-13-2022 at 08:29 PM.

I’d just fish the Mccloud where it meets shasta and go up from there. I did that on the upper sac where I-5 goes over it and worked my way up. Lots of lake fish in the river since the lake is so low. Caught a mix of spots, browns, and bows. Decent size trout at that. Plus the drive time is cut down.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 07-14-2022 at 03:43 PM.