Thread: Stand Up Paddleboards are smoken' hot....everywhere.

Default Stand Up Paddleboards are smoken' hot....everywhere.

This video is shot very near my home on the Central East Coast of Florida.

He is in the famous 100 mile plus long intercoastal waterway, "The Indian River Lagoon".

Average depth here in this long, safe brackish waterway is 38 inches with a 13' marked ship channel down the middle.

It is an amazing fishery with Snook, Tarpon, Jacks, Ladyfish, Seatrout, Redfish and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-2p8HEMrY
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill as long as you are fishing on one of them that is cool. Hate them in the line up when we are surfing. They are a hazard to navigation and try and take every wave and will clean you out if the dude wipes out.
    Don Memmer

'Yaks and SUP's both have strong points , depending on conditions . In the salt , there's usually wind , and you will be much better off sitting low on a sit-on-top Kayak . For sight fishing , obviously the higher you sit , the better visibility you will have .... so standing makes more sense . I use the cheapest sit on top Kayak made , a 10-foot Lifetime . It is perfect for what I need (light weight , stable , low wind resistance , tough and ultimately disposable) . The thought of having to use a SUP on my Estero doesn't sit well .

That dude has a great idea using the Icebox for a seat -

D.~

Yes Wayne but it looks easier on my 77 year old back?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I did a quick search on uTube, subject was SUP fishing. Observation was that these videos all were produced by guys and gals in their 20’s to 30’s. This leads me to believe that perhaps SUP’s should come with an age limit. Something like a warning that they might be hazardess to old guys. My limited experience proved to me that it doesn’t take much of a jerk in one direction to send that board the opposite way. As fun as it looks it can be tough in the wind and and chop.

I have a hobie pro angler 12 and you can stand up in it and fish. I have been on SUP’s a few times and expect my kayak is way more stable than any SUP. The kayak has a 6’ paddle so you can stand up and paddle just like it was an SUP. I stand up and cast for stripers and strip the line into the boat. When you hook one you fight it standing up and sit down when you are ready to lip it or net it. When I bass fish I sit and cast because the casts are short and you can pedal along the shoreline while casting. It is heavy but it has wheels so you only ever have to lift one end. I like it better than my boat but there are plenty of situations where the boat has enough advantages that the extra effort required to get the boat launched is worth it. Seems to me the SUP has no fishing advantage whatsoever over the kayak but maybe there is one I don’t see.
    Last edited by John H; 04-15-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    I think I would be falling off more than fishing.
    My first time fishing from a SUP was last May casting 10-12" flies, in a river (with a current), and good wind. I was twisted, tangled, in the brush, and never facing where I wanted (much less going in that direction). I can't even imagine what it would have been like with a musky towing me about.

My buddy Dave (30 years my younger and a veteran of musky fishing from SUPs) was graceful, poised, and as balanced as a ballerina. He was effortlessly throwing chickens 80' without any water assist, into every viable piece of cover while I was untangling myself from myself. My legs were so wobbly I couldn't walk a straight line back to the truck.

No SUP in my future and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who has any other choice of water craft. Unless you are Dr. Neely.