In the next 6 or 8 weeks or more you need to get there, probably in a boat.

Some of us old timer have had some wonderful experiences at the mouth of the Father river, entering the Sacramento river.

It has been a famous Shad destination for over 50 years but Stripers can be caught there too.

The Feather river has Smallmouth all the way upstream from the mouth to Gridley.

There are some spring run Stripers in the Feather river right now too.

When both rivers are low you can wade the big sandbar at the mouth.

We not only use to be albe to part all along the levee but actually drive down on the side of the levee.

This might be a year for doing that. It can be a little dangers so don't walt off the end of the sand bar.

In spring time during the draught of the late 1970s there might be 30 fly fishers wading there for Shad.

Today it is mostly anchored boats with some famous local guides there too.

Access in very limited today so you might have to launch a boat to get to the sand bar?

One afternoon in the late 1970s Don Rotsma (Davis Lake Don) and I went to the mouth of the Feather river.

We parked on the levee and walk down onto the giant sand bar to meet up with a large bunch of CFFU members.

They were all wade fishing for Shad and it was very good as you can imagine "back in the day."

At sunset most of them went home but Don was breaking in a new 9 weight fiberglass fly rod he had just made.

Earlier that day he bought a new Scientific Angler "System 9" fly reel (Hardy made).

We loaded it up with backing, mono shooting line and a fast sinking 30' SA #10 HiD shooting head.

At about 10 pm as we were giving it our best to hook a Striper and huge school of Line Side showed up at the mouth.

We landed about a dozen Stripers from 10 to 20 pounds and then Don got a back lash in his mono running line.

We went back in on dry sand and got out a flashlight to try to get the snarl out of his new mono running line.

After we got it straightened out in was midnight and Don said let's cast a few more.

I said OK and Don hooked a monster Striper that was only going one way, down stream.

Don waded out and down the sand bar to the top if his waders and it finally brought off.

Right after that in the pitch dark local fly fishing legend Larry Cullens rowed over in his pram to say 'hello'.

I guess in the quiet he could hear us laughing and screaming. Behind his pram, floating on a streamer, was some 30lbers.

https://www.billkiene.com/forums/sho...ns-passes-away

We loaded up 6 Stripers in the middle floor of my new 1978 VW bus and headed home.

Don had a crazy idea so at 1PM we stopped at Bob and Peggy Giannoi's home and woke them up.

Bob came and looked at the carnage and we were all laughing link crazy.

One morning back then at one of my little fly shops professor Bill King from Sac State parked at my front door.

I walked out side to say Hello and Bill open the front trunk of his old VW bug to show me a 32# Striper.

He had just caught it wading at the mouth of the Feather river and said he was going to try for the 8# World fly record.

He had the fly, leader and one foot of his fly line saved to send in to the IGFA after he got a good certified weight.

All Perryman had the 6# fly IGFA record for Striped Bass with a 25#er back then (American in December?)

Ron Hayashi (merchant marine) had the 44# fly record on 10#? back then too.(Mouth of the Feather river)

Both of these guys are World Class fly fishers........

I spent 50 plus years in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento so I caught write a story like these every day for years.