Thread: A good starting point help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A good starting point help

My son has next week off for spring break and he wants to try and catch some stripers. I do not have much experience here but did fish for them on the Chesapeake Bay when I lived on the eastern shore. I have a 15' Whaler and was wondering if anyone could suggest a boat launching point that would get us off on a good start next week. We are starting out from Fair Oaks. He wants to through gear and I would probably be working the boat for the most part but would definitely get in a few casts with a fly.

Thanks
    Russell

Russell,

The stripers have just started to move upstream in the Feather and the Sac but it's not red-hot yet. The better fishing is still in the delta. Why not try heading down I-5 to Hwy.12 then head west toward Rio Vista. Cross over the second bridge and you'll be at the Mokelumne. Launch at B&W Marina, From there I'd head downstream to the mouth where it joins the San Joaquin and fish those flats on the north-west shore. Watch for birds diving and chasing bait. The best bite has been on the falling tide.
    Good luck and have fun with your son.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

1) Get a good guide the first day.......you will learn good technique and have a better chance of catching something.

2) Do you have a bow mounted electric motor on your boat?

3)Trolling is very popular in the Delta. Fishermen's Warehouse can set you up there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Tony. I figured somewhere in the delta would be the place to go but I have no experience in the delta or where good launching points would be.
    Bill, we’re going to be winging it this time. Not sure what day is going to work out so can’t set up a guide.
    I’ve been thinking about getting an electric motor mounted on the bow but haven’t yet. Probably will just be casting lures and flies this time.

Hopefully we’ll get lucky and find them

Thanks
    Russell

Tony is spot on with a good starting point- tides are key for good fishing, so time it to be in a good spot, (think ambush points, cuts, dropoffs etc.)

I fished it a lot without a trolling motor and the TM helps but is not required. I just drifted the good spots, ran back uptide and did it again.

For conventional rigs, swimbaits, and rattle traps in craw patterns work well off the rip rap, for flies I use a chartreuse and white rattle clouser.

Very similar techniques and tackle I used on the Chesapeake.
    Thanks for all the help.