Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2022 AR Shad Reports

Bruce and Mike slayed ‘em today! You need a boat to access where they fished today.

Jeff how do you break so many rods? Never known someone that breaks so many sticks!

This one ran between my legs when I had the rod pointed almost straight up. You know what happened next when she took off like a bullet behind me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A7F0DA53-08C2-4552-9944-2FA64CE5E8A6.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	879.4 KB 
ID:	17991  
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 04-20-2022 at 04:56 AM.

Fished this morning and got into double digits ( LDRed as many as I landed). Lot more angler 5 other fly fishermen and 3 bobber guys during the course of the morning.

Went out with Capt. Andy in his jet boat to do some scouting. We found a pod and got a dozen or so before they moved. I enjoy going fishing with Andy because he knows the river like the back of his hand so I get to learn about how to fish new water.

hit the paradise area last night, no action for me but there was a guy who had found em- he got a number of them, not able to access the slot he was in tho.

Is it really worth fishing, even for double digits, if you're bumping lines with 5+ other anglers? That just sounds like a nightmare to me.

It was wasn’t that bad because there were only 6 guys fishing.the hole at any one time and everyone was courteous. It does get worst will bobbers landing across your fly line and I will fish somewhere else.

Fished this morning with Jeff Morin and his friend Glenn. They had been there for a couple of hours before I showed up and Jeff had caught a few and Glenn none. I gave Glenn one of my Pink Lipsticks and he started to hooking up. Ended up in double digits but LDRed more than I landed. All were caught on the Pink Lipstick except for 2 on the Victoria Secret PT.
    Last edited by Jeff C.; 04-21-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fivefingers View Post
    Is it really worth fishing, even for double digits, if you're bumping lines with 5+ other anglers? That just sounds like a nightmare to me.
    In the 1960s there was a "line up" at the top of Goethe Park / River Bend Park of about 50 fly anglers. Many from the Bay area on the

weekends. The run and school of Shad was probably around a hundred yards long. Back then the Lower American river was a famous

place in America to go wade for Shad with a fly rod. Famous people showed up like Ted Trueblood and Jimmy Green. Most used 9' #9 line

2 piece fiberglass fly rods. I think it might have been 10 feet between anglers. One time someone took a guys hat right off of his head.

We looked down stream in the evening to see Stripers busting the Shad on top.

My brother Dick and I went one even to Goethe Park to try to catch some Shad there on a fly fishing outfit.

I had just purchased it from Sports Unlimited on Arden Way.

We were on the bank about have way down the "line up".

A nice older Japanese gentleman, Tommy Fukushima, motioned for me to wade out to him and take his spot.

He gave me a heavily weighted #4 Shad fly that was merely a chartreuse chenille body over lead wire.

He told me to cast it out and the Shad would take it.

Not knowing much I caught 12 Shad in 30 minutes right up till dark.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    In the 1960s there was a "line up" at the top of Goethe Park / River Bend Park of about 50 fly anglers. Many from the Bay area on the weekends.
    Definitely would have shown up and said to myself, "Well ok then. I think I'm going to go get a beer instead."

Any time you live in a city the size of Sacramento you will have to deal with crowds when fishing is good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........